• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CAN I KEEP THE CAR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

albie43

I LIVE IN WISCONSIN.SIX YEARS AGO I TOOK A PERSON TO S/C COURT AND WON.I AM NOW IN POSSESSION OF HIS CAR.QUESTION?
CAN I KEEP THE CAR AS PAYMENT OF THE JUDGEMENT?OR DOES THE SHERIFF HAVE TO SELL IT TO SETTLE THE JUDGEMENT?

JETX

I LIVE IN WISCONSIN.SIX YEARS AGO I TOOK A PERSON TO S/C COURT AND WON.I AM NOW IN POSSESSION OF HIS CAR.QUESTION?
CAN I KEEP THE CAR AS PAYMENT OF THE JUDGEMENT?OR DOES THE SHERIFF HAVE TO SELL IT TO SETTLE THE JUDGEMENT?

The answer to your question depends ENTIRELY on how you managed to get "possession of his car". If he signed it over to you in payment, then obviously it is yours to do as you please. Or if it was repo'd as security on a payment agreement, then you will have to go through the required steps to get the title transferred to your name. Or, if the sheriff really has possession (and not you as stated) as a result of a levy, then the state should require that the vehicle be sold in auction and the proceeds used to pay the costs and the judgment.

We really need more information when you are asking such a 'broad-based' question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">