• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-custodial father wants to relinquish rights, avoid paying support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dp1527

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I recently filed for a child support modification. My son's dad was just located by DCSS last year and began paying $50 for arrears (from when I was on welfare for four months back in 1999). Paternity was established when I gave birth, but my ex has not been around for all 12 years of my son's life. Besides the small arrears payments, he has not helped at all financially. We have a court date in January, and just now he's gotten into contact and he's asking me to drop the modification request because he's unemployed and has other financial obligations. He is also threatening to relinquish his parental rights. Will he get out of paying support if he relinquishes his rights? And if he is unemployed, can an order for support still be established?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I recently filed for a child support modification. My son's dad was just located by DCSS last year and began paying $50 for arrears (from when I was on welfare for four months back in 1999). Paternity was established when I gave birth, but my ex has not been around for all 12 years of my son's life. Besides the small arrears payments, he has not helped at all financially. We have a court date in January, and just now he's gotten into contact and he's asking me to drop the modification request because he's unemployed and has other financial obligations. He is also threatening to relinquish his parental rights. Will he get out of paying support if he relinquishes his rights? And if he is unemployed, can an order for support still be established?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

He cannot terminate his parental rights unless you have remarried and your husband wishes to adopt your son.

He doesn't have to see your mutual son, but he will still have an obligation to provide support. He can be ordered to pay support even if he's unemployed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">