• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agent4678

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I currently work in an industry that installs a product at a clients home and hauls the old unit away. If refurbished, these units are worth about $250 each. I would like to start a nonprofit, sell these items, and donate all of the money to local charities. The units are currently just thrown away, and I estimate that if the companies gave them to me, I would be gathering about 40 units per week from each company.

My questions are:
1. Who really owns the units and can the companies give them to me without reporting them as some sort of income for themselves?
2. The units are worth about $1200 new so can i give them a donation receipt for that amount or would it be the refurbished amount?

Thanks in advance. I am trying to make this as easy on them logistically as possible. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">