• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 year child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeanniek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

When a child turns 18, but is still enrolled in high school, but NOT actually attending classes, is the absent parent still responsible for paying the child support, and for how long?

Antigone*

When a child turns 18, but is still enrolled in high school, but NOT actually attending classes, is the absent parent still responsible for paying the child support, and for how long?
Who are you in this situation?

LdiJ

Maybe...the absent parent would have some responsibility for ensuring that the child was taking education seriously.

Proserpina

Maybe...the absent parent would have some responsibility for ensuring that the child was taking education seriously.

An absent parent with no contact with the child and/or no legal custody would not be held responsible for the child not taking education seriously.

Not that it's important; what's important is the court order. Then again, given OP's very short initial post, my first response would be "The absent parent is responsible until WA tells him/her that s/he's no longer responsible".

In other words, the parent would have to actually petition the court to have the order modified, but this generally wouldn't happen until the child had actually finished out the school year and still not graduated.

LdiJ

An absent parent with no contact with the child and/or no legal custody would not be held responsible for the child not taking education seriously.
That's why I said "maybe".

Not that it's important; what's important is the court order. Then again, given OP's very short initial post, my first response would be "The absent parent is responsible until WA tells him/her that s/he's no longer responsible".
Again, why I said "maybe"

In other words, the parent would have to actually petition the court to have the order modified, but this generally wouldn't happen until the child had actually finished out the school year and still not graduated.
Again, why I said "maybe".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">