• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this common?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

Septemeber 2010: Contempt hearing for ex who hasn't paid since May 2010. Without proof of anything, other than ex saying he's been unemployed for the last 3 years, judge lowers the amount and sets a review hearing, giving ex 60 days to get it together.

December 2010: Review hearing, ex walks in saying now I make X dollar at X hours... no proof whatsoever, just his word. Child support amount lowered again to fit these new hours/dollars.

**On a side note, it was discovered through the attorney I hired 2 days before the first contempt hearing, ex went and purchased land/house contract. Lawyer gave info to OCSE, who never brought it up in the review hearing. There is another hearing set in March via my lawyer, not one set by OCSE.

My question is: Is it common to be able to walk in, present no hard evidence proof whatsoever, and still get your amount lowered based on your word?

It was witnessed case after case both hearings... nearly every person charged with contempt was told their amount would be lowered, no proof required for anything... It was quite shocking to see a man with a $36,000 arrears case tell the judge he was employed but then lost his job due to a disability, but no he hasn't filed for SSDI just yet, and then he just gets his support amount lowered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">