• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion to Show Cause, how to word and file?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cainlord

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ND

I am looking to file a motion to show cause as it was described to get a section of the court order enforced. However, for my state I am not having any luck in locating any forms to do this as other states have. When I spoke directly with the representatives at the Courthouse they advised me that there are no forms to be filled out.

Based on this I spoke with my previous lawyer concerning estimates on how much it would be for them to do this which they estimated at 3K or more in fees.

So my question would be this, for states that don't have any forms for motion to show cause or contempt, what is usually done if you decide to file on your own?

Is it better to just go with a lawyer then?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ND

I am looking to file a motion to show cause as it was described to get a section of the court order enforced. However, for my state I am not having any luck in locating any forms to do this as other states have. When I spoke directly with the representatives at the Courthouse they advised me that there are no forms to be filled out.

Based on this I spoke with my previous lawyer concerning estimates on how much it would be for them to do this which they estimated at 3K or more in fees.

So my question would be this, for states that don't have any forms for motion to show cause or contempt, what is usually done if you decide to file on your own?

Is it better to just go with a lawyer then?
Short answer: Yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">