• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prorated Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathyd3

Illinois: I filed for child support August 1, 2011 and the case kept getting mysteriously closed, and I do not have an appointment until the end of January. I have been on my own with my daughter from that time on, how do I get my ex to pay back child support if there was no judgement in place?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You filed in court for child support?
An appointment...with?

You really need an attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I filed with the state, and the appointment is to determine his income.
Do you have a court order for support? If no case has been filed, then there is no "back support"

Please post more details. We don't need a novel, but we do need more than you have given.

kathyd3

There is no order for support yet, I filed for support with the state on August 1st, is there a way to make him pay from the time I filed until now if there is no order yet? Or does he get off scott free for the 6 months that he hasn't paid a dime?

kathyd3

Can this be written into the order that he owes support from the time I filed? Or I will have to wait months longer to get anything?

Antigone*

There is no order for support yet, I filed for support with the state on August 1st, is there a way to make him pay from the time I filed until now if there is no order yet? Or does he get off scott free for the 6 months that he hasn't paid a dime?
Generally, once support is ordered, the order will apply back to the filing date. You have a problem though, you said the case has been closed a few times. You need the help of an attorney.

mistoffolees

Generally, once support is ordered, the order will apply back to the filing date. You have a problem though, you said the case has been closed a few times. You need the help of an attorney.
Or, at least, go back to the state and find out why the case keeps getting closed. The state may be a lot of help if OP simply asks some questions. It could be that OP failed to sign the appropriate forms and once she does so, everything will go smoothly. If that's the case, there wouldn't be any need for an attorney.

So, OP, I would suggest that you first talk with someone at the state about your case to find out what is going on and what it takes to fix it. If you understand what they tell you and are able to follow through on what they say needs to be done, then you may be OK without an attorney.

If, OTOH, you don't understand what they're telling you and/or the actions they tell you to take seem more complicated than you can handle, THEN you should get an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">