• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i copyright this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paigow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Can i copyright my creation in a video game? let me explain. this drag racing game has an option to tune your car to drag race and with the options given you can litterly come up with over a billion combinations of numbers so it is truely your own creation. If done right your car goes faster, if done wrong slower so as you can see this is the main focus of the game.

my question is, can this creations of numbers a person created be copyright?

If so, how can a person protect their tunes on youtube? as of now everyone on youtube is copying someone else work and making their own video with it.

antrc170

As I understand it you have a game like DragRacerV3 or something similiar where you can tune your car, change the design, etc and you want to copyright your particlar setup?

If that is the case, no you can't copyright any set-up or style that the game provides. If you have imported some custom artwork or design that you designed yourself that may be protectable depending on the terms of the website.

paigow

As I understand it you have a game like DragRacerV3 or something similiar where you can tune your car, change the design, etc and you want to copyright your particlar setup?

If that is the case, no you can't copyright any set-up or style that the game provides. If you have imported some custom artwork or design that you designed yourself that may be protectable depending on the terms of the website.
well its not really a style of game play, i can see what your saying about a particular play style but this is a combination of numbers you created. To add to this, its not like there is only a few combinations that will work, you can have billions of numbers to come out with a tune so you truly are creating something.

so really? this truly can not be copyright?

antrc170

well its not really a style of game play, i can see what your saying about a particular play style but this is a combination of numbers you created. To add to this, its not like there is only a few combinations that will work, you can have billions of numbers to come out with a tune so you truly are creating something.

so really? this truly can not be copyright?
Really, it cannot be copyrighted if the game is providing the base data, then it is open to whomever uses that game, regardless of the different combinations possible.

paigow

does the same rule apply to videos you create on youtube or apps?

can i take the tunes that is on the android market app and make my own videos with it?
since you said tunes can't be copyright then they can't sue me for using their work to make my own video right?

ecmst12

If you create the video, you can post it on youtube. The video is your work. The only people that might have a claim on the video is the creators of the game - not any other players.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">