• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payback of child support and how long can you file

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dross I

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nj
My daughter was emancipated on January 2008 but the judge did not sign the emancipation until may 2008 so Child support was taken from my check for all those months at $125 per week. I sent probation services a copy of the emancipation papers and requested the return of my overpayment and heard nothing back. I also sent a letter to the mother of my daughter that received the overpayment and told her in the letter that she could make small payments of $20 a week. No one ever got back to me. Do I have any rights to get this money back? Probation never answers me.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

She did not graduate high school because she missed too many days. Took ex back to clourt first time and judge said to let her go back next year as a senior. Ten she went back as senior and did not attend enough so judge said had to give her Chang
Ce to get GED. She got GED in January 2007 at age of 19. Then judge said had to pay for college. She went to beauty school and guess what? Yes you guessed it, she got tossed out because she did not go enough days. So I filed emancipation paperwork in December 2007. Took until may 2008 to get judge to hear case because ex kept contesting different things. Judge looked at case may 2008 and said my daughter emancipated as of January 2008.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My daughter was emancipated on January 2008 but the judge did not sign the emancipation until may 2008 so Child support was taken from my check for all those months at $125 per week. I sent probation services a copy of the emancipation papers and requested the return of my overpayment and heard nothing back. I also sent a letter to the mother of my daughter that received the overpayment and told her in the letter that she could make small payments of $20 a week. No one ever got back to me. Do I have any rights to get this money back? Probation never answers me.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
How was she emancipated in January 2008?

LdiJ

By any chance did your daughter turn 18 in January but not graduate from high school until may? If so, the judge's delay in signing the orders might have been deliberate. Child support normally does not terminate until graduation from high school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">