• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support before divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beka1472

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? alabama
i am going through a divorce. the papers aren't signed yet, and my boys wanted to live with their father so I let them, but I will have to pay 600 a month. my soon to be ex is wanting money now. Do I have to pay before the papers are signed by the judge?

Proserpina

i am going through a divorce. the papers aren't signed yet, and my boys wanted to live with their father so I let them, but I will have to pay 600 a month. my soon to be ex is wanting money now. Do I have to pay before the papers are signed by the judge?

Any reason why you're not wanting to support the kids?

The answer is you're not legally obliged to pay support until there is a court order.

But really - supporting your kids is the RIGHT thing to do, regardless.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
No, not without a court order. But you might possibly owe CS from the date of filing. Why not support your children? Give him a check clearly marked as CS; if it comes up, you can take the cancelled checks into court. I know of a fellow in ShelbyCo who paid CS to the mother of his child for many years before she filed through the state. Having those cancelled checks proved to the judge that he was supporting his child even though the mother said he never paid her a dime. :cool:

Link to Alabama Administrative Court site on Child Support:
Alabama Unified Judicial System -- judicial.alabama.gov

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/128972.htm

beka1472

I do want to support them, but he has left me with a lot of bills including all attorney fees that i have been trying to pay off before the papers are signed,so I will not struggle with the child support, and plus he is not allowing me to see the boys.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I do want to support them, but he has left me with a lot of bills including all attorney fees that i have been trying to pay off before the papers are signed, and plus he is not allowing me to see the boys.
Visitation and Child Support are two separate issues. Do you think CS is admission to see your children? :cool:

beka1472

no, I'm sorry if it seems that way, he has put me through a lot and still is, so I have a lot a resentment toward him. thank you for the information, I really do appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">