• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NFL - use of team, player names

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b2929693

I would like to start a website where part of the content would be NFL team names and player names. I would not be selling products with the names on it. The site would be a service running a fantasy football league.

Do I need a license to list the player names? The team names?

What if I wanted to add team logos? Player photos?

justalayman

You can use the stats of the players. You can include the name of the player and the associated team. That is not copyrightable info nor is it protected under trademark or publicity rights.

Logos are a totally different animal. Those are trademark protected so they are off limits.

photos: whose photos? (the owner, not the subject) If you have the permission of the copyright owner to use the photo, you can use the photo. If not, you would be violating copyrights with the possible exception of any person who wants to claim publicity rights (and lives in a state where they are available). That has not been totally settled so you would be taking a risk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">