• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

As a NCP, what's the safest/best way to pay for out-of-pocket medical expenses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aalasad

In the State of TX, I'm required to share 50% of the out-of-pocket medical expenses. I'm trying to find out what might be the best way for me to pay such expenses? I don't want to give it as cash, check, etc. and not (potentially) get credit for it, or have it become a point of contention or dispute in the future. Paying it via the TxSDU could mean that I get credit for extra payments. It's worth noting that my overpayment credit (from paying extra over the years) is in the thousands; as a result, the ex is a little sensitive about increasing that.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

In the State of TX, I'm required to share 50% of the out-of-pocket medical expenses. I'm trying to find out what might be the best way for me to pay such expenses? I don't want to give it as cash, check, etc. and not (potentially) get credit for it, or have it become a point of contention or dispute in the future. Paying it via the TxSDU could mean that I get credit for extra payments. It's worth noting that my overpayment credit (from paying extra over the years) is in the thousands; as a result, the ex is a little sensitive about increasing that.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Its safe if you have a receipt of any kind. A cancelled check would be a receipt, or you could have the ex sign one. Or, as someone else suggested you could pay the provider directly, assuming that it isn't something the ex has already paid.

Again, as long as you have a receipt of some sort, you are fine.

aalasad

Skeptical about checks being receipts

When the ex 1st involved the TxOAG, the checks I had, which showed payment before I was required to pay (it's my kids for God's sake), still required her acknowledgment to be accepted by them. They didn't stand on their own.

Naturally I'm now skeptical about checks sufficing as receipts.

Paying the provider(s) directly is rarely option. I cannot be there for the visits, nor do I know about the doctor visits ahead of time, in most cases.

Paying through the TXSDU is my preference. Once again, however, that means I get credit for the payment against the child support obligation. In essence, it would look like it's an extra payment.

Surely this is a common predicament. I was simply trying to find an approach used by most people.

mistoffolees

When the ex 1st involved the TxOAG, the checks I had, which showed payment before I was required to pay (it's my kids for God's sake), still required her acknowledgment to be accepted by them. They didn't stand on their own.

Naturally I'm now skeptical about checks sufficing as receipts.

Paying the provider(s) directly is rarely option. I cannot be there for the visits, nor do I know about the doctor visits ahead of time, in most cases.

Paying through the TXSDU is my preference. Once again, however, that means I get credit for the payment against the child support obligation. In essence, it would look like it's an extra payment.

Surely this is a common predicament. I was simply trying to find an approach used by most people.
Then just pay your ex with a check and keep a copy of the canceled check. Staple the canceled check to the bill(s) that the check covered. I really can't see how that would be insufficient.

DownTime

The ex has to sign the back of the check to deposit or cash it, that's acknowledgement of payment right there. You simply need front and back copies of the check from your bank, a simple statement won't do.

Alex1176

The ex has to sign the back of the check to deposit or cash it, that's acknowledgement of payment right there. You simply need front and back copies of the check from your bank, a simple statement won't do.
And in some banks you can see it online, at least at WF. You have a link to a scan of a check, any time somebody deposit it.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Actually, even if the ex doesn't sign the check (some banks will allow a deposit without signature), the canceled check is adequate evidence. It will show the account information as to where the money was deposited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">