• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am way behind on support for my son....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maria28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I live in North Carolina. My sons father and I seperated and divorced and he gained custody of my son and moved to Indiana. A change of Venue was granted to him in order for his move. My son was 15 months then and is now fixing to be 9 yrs old on the 14th of this month. I was recently notified that sheriff went to my old adress looking for me to serve me with an Order to show cause on why I havnt been paying child support. I am aware that I owe almost 20,000 ... in 2005 child support was ordered based on the amount I was making then.. Before the case was settled I had already lost that Job making that good of money and have been having a time getting on my feet being that I gave birth to a daughter from a man who left me when I was 5 months pregnant and am curently trying to be stable enough to take care of her. I dont want to go to jail.. things are really looking up for me now... I am not running from paying I just havnt had the money to send, ive been living out of my car from time to time and in barns. Not making excuses I am still reliable to pay on my sons support and I have those intentions.. but at the same time I havnt hardly seen my son, I hardly get to talk to him, they dont make him call me, I write him and send his christmas and birthday presents....and has told me over and over to just sign over my rights and Tyler ( my son) can move on without me... There are alot of diff reasons I dont agree with how him and his new wife are raising my son.... he has been diagnosed with Child hood depression and they had him on ADD meds which I was told they took him off.. but he has definitly been showing signs of depression and confusion as to why he was ripped from the only family he knew in NC at 15 months old and he is blaming his self for all that happened between me and his father and that tears me up inside and really makes me mad that I can be there to wrap my arms around him and tell him NONE of it is his fault************** I'm just lost and confused... what should I do?!??!?!

Silverplum

I live in North Carolina. My sons father and I seperated and divorced and he gained custody of my son and moved to Indiana. A change of Venue was granted to him in order for his move. My son was 15 months then and is now fixing to be 9 yrs old on the 14th of this month. I was recently notified that sheriff went to my old adress looking for me to serve me with an Order to show cause on why I havnt been paying child support. I am aware that I owe almost 20,000 ... in 2005 child support was ordered based on the amount I was making then.. Before the case was settled I had already lost that Job making that good of money and have been having a time getting on my feet being that I gave birth to a daughter from a man who left me when I was 5 months pregnant and am curently trying to be stable enough to take care of her. I dont want to go to jail.. things are really looking up for me now... I am not running from paying I just havnt had the money to send, ive been living out of my car from time to time and in barns. Not making excuses I am still reliable to pay on my sons support and I have those intentions.. but at the same time I havnt hardly seen my son, I hardly get to talk to him, they dont make him call me, I write him and send his christmas and birthday presents....and has told me over and over to just sign over my rights and Tyler ( my son) can move on without me... There are alot of diff reasons I dont agree with how him and his new wife are raising my son.... he has been diagnosed with Child hood depression and they had him on ADD meds which I was told they took him off.. but he has definitly been showing signs of depression and confusion as to why he was ripped from the only family he knew in NC at 15 months old and he is blaming his self for all that happened between me and his father and that tears me up inside and really makes me mad that I can be there to wrap my arms around him and tell him NONE of it is his fault************** I'm just lost and confused... what should I do?!??!?!
You have a lot of excuses and a lot of unpaid child support.

Quit excusing yourself and pay the support.

torimac

You son moved away 7 years ago and you think you can fix any problems with a hug? If you haven't seen him or talked to him, let alone his medical care providers, how do you know his medical condition?

Get a job. Get counseling. Pay your support. File for visitation. But do yourself and your child a favor and get your life together before you file for visitation. You need to fix your own problems first. A hug will not certainly solve years of abandonment issues or your anger issues.

Antigone*

You think you are lost and confused:eek:, what about the poor child you bore and then dumped?

Why not give up your parental rights? It is probably better for your child.

mistoffolees

You son moved away 7 years ago and you think you can fix any problems with a hug? If you haven't seen him or talked to him, let alone his medical care providers, how do you know his medical condition?

Get a job. Get counseling. Pay your support. File for visitation. But do yourself and your child a favor and get your life together before you file for visitation. You need to fix your own problems first. A hug will not certainly solve years of abandonment issues or your anger issues.
I agree with that.

However, for OP's benefit, it is unlikely that you're going to need to come up with the full arrears all at once. You can probably work out a payment plan, but you will need to work that out with the court and/or the state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">