• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crossing the Copyright Line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ClicktoOrder

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I am starting an online business featuring personalized products. I know I can't use something like the Green Bay Packers "G" but is it OK to put things in just plain type on products such as "No. 1 Packer Fan" or "Lambeau Field or Bust." I am not sure where the line is beyond not using their trademarked logo.

TigerD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I am starting an online business featuring personalized products. I know I can't use something like the Green Bay Packers "G" but is it OK to put things in just plain type on products such as "No. 1 Packer Fan" or "Lambeau Field or Bust." I am not sure where the line is beyond not using their trademarked logo.
Great. Congrats on your new business. This is a question you should discuss with your attorney. You know, the one you talked about all of the other legal issues you are about to face.

DC

quincy

ClicktoOrder, debtcollector is right that you will want to go over all of your business plans with a professional prior to implementing these plans. You do not want to invest a lot of time, energy and money into your enterprise only to be sent cease and desist letters or be sued for infringement. An attorney can help your new business avoid legal pitfalls.

The NFL is very diligent when it comes to seeking out infringers on their trademarks. Trademark rights can cover not only the names and logos of an entity, but also slogans, colors, styles of print, phrases, graphics, symbols, and anything else that is used to identify and promote a business, its products or its services.

The Green Bay Packers have registered trademarks on "Green Bay Packers," "Packers," "Lambeau Field," "Titletown," the "G" logo, the colors dark green, gold and white.....any use of these trademarks alone or in any combination can result in an infringement notice and the potential of being sued. You would need to license the rights to use these trademarks from the Packers organization.

You can use the words "Green Bay," but you cannot use the name Green Bay with the Packers' trademarked colors. You can use the letter "G," but not with a similar print or in a way that suggests sponsorship or endorsement by the Green Bay Packers organization. You cannot use the name Packers or Lambeau Field or Titletown on a product without a license to do so.

This is why you need to consult with a professional. You cannot (generally) base a business on another's successful product or service line without the very great risk of being sued. To get a clearer picture of the lines you cannot cross with your products, you will need to have your business plans personally reviewed by an attorney in your area.

Good luck with your business.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">