• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

letter concerning exemption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cainlord

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N D

In our court order it states that I am allowed to claim our child for tax purposes with a condition concerning income that the CP is to provide evidence of making.

No evidence have ever been provided but the CP refuses to send me a form 8332 ( I had been sending in the judgement originally and thought everything was fine as I was audited before about this) and I was recently dinged by the IRS concerning this as the CP did claim our child for a given year due to the changes in the law as I was told by the tax examination rep.

I decided to just pay the amount owed to the IRS and follow up legally with the CP so interest stops building.

I was advised that I need to file a motion to show cause or contempt. Our state however doesn't have any forms concerning this and I would like to try and solve this without a big legal cost.

I was looking to have a letter sent by my lawyer stating the issue and requesting the form 8332 and setup some sort of alternation schedule. As for the issue concerning the tax year I was audited about (assuming that the right term), in lieu of filing contempt charges, I would be willing to just claim our child for an additional tax year so the CP wouldn't be out anything directly.

What exactly would need to be present in a letter like this and any suggestions on wording or even text to use?

Also, what exactly must I do in how I send this letter if I need it for court? (sent certified mail, etc)

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N D

In our court order it states that I am allowed to claim our child for tax purposes with a condition concerning income that the CP is to provide evidence of making.

No evidence have ever been provided but the CP refuses to send me a form 8332 ( I had been sending in the judgement originally and thought everything was fine as I was audited before about this) and I was recently dinged by the IRS concerning this as the CP did claim our child for a given year due to the changes in the law as I was told by the tax examination rep.

I decided to just pay the amount owed to the IRS and follow up legally with the CP so interest stops building.

I was advised that I need to file a motion to show cause or contempt. Our state however doesn't have any forms concerning this and I would like to try and solve this without a big legal cost.

I was looking to have a letter sent by my lawyer stating the issue and requesting the form 8332 and setup some sort of alternation schedule. As for the issue concerning the tax year I was audited about (assuming that the right term), in lieu of filing contempt charges, I would be willing to just claim our child for an additional tax year so the CP wouldn't be out anything directly.

What exactly would need to be present in a letter like this and any suggestions on wording or even text to use?

Also, what exactly must I do in how I send this letter if I need it for court? (sent certified mail, etc)

Isn't your lawyer answering your questions? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">