• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright on code from a tutorial web page

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BinaryMaster

Hello, I am a programmer in Florida and the company I work with is being served with a cease and desist letters from an ex-employee claiming that code he wrote he has copyright to the code in questions can be found all over the web as a guide on how to write a adobe flash video player, the only differences between the code found online and the code he says he wrote is the value of where the play find the video file to play is. Is this something we should be concerned with or will it be open and shut if it were ever to get in front of a judge?

quincy

Any time you receive a cease and desist letter, there is probably some cause for concern.

However, there is no way for anyone here to predict the outcome of any case should a case wind up before a judge (although forum member seniorjudge used to be pretty good at predicting such things ;)).

I suggest you run the matter by an attorney in your area, who can personally review the cease and desist letter and evaluate all of the facts for you. This personal review can provide you with a better indication of where you and your company stand against the former employee's claims.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">