• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Overage/Writ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

db5

Texas

In 1998, my ex-husband filed for an overage of child support and was seeking 7000. At this time, my daughter was 20, my eldest son 19 and my youngest son 15. My eldest had gone to live with his father at the age of 13. I contacted my divorce lawyer who told me not to worry about it, that he did not overpay. Although it was in my divorce decree that my ex was responsible for medical support, I carried all three children (without recompense) on my health insurance. I also accepted lower than the state guidelines with regard to the amount he was to pay for the three children.

In 2011, I was contacted by the constable's office saying that the judgment against me is now 23K and they are going to sell my house to pay it. The only child listed on the document is my youngest child, who never lived with my ex. What are my next steps?

Proserpina

Texas

In 1998, my ex-husband filed for an overage of child support and was seeking 7000. At this time, my daughter was 20, my eldest son 19 and my youngest son 15. My eldest had gone to live with his father at the age of 13. I contacted my divorce lawyer who told me not to worry about it, that he did not overpay. Although it was in my divorce decree that my ex was responsible for medical support, I carried all three children (without recompense) on my health insurance. I also accepted lower than the state guidelines with regard to the amount he was to pay for the three children.

In 2011, I was contacted by the constable's office saying that the judgment against me is now 23K and they are going to sell my house to pay it. The only child listed on the document is my youngest child, who never lived with my ex. What are my next steps?

Your next steps are to hightail it to an attorney first thing in the morning.

Seriously.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">