• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Similar book format

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

watasnake

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am playing with the idea of creating an interview book like GIG -

http://www.amazon.com/Gig-Americans-Talk-About-Their/dp/0609807072

but using only individuals from the education profession. Am I infringing on any copyright using the format that was used before?
Second, if my interviews use pseudonymes, do I need to have interviewees sign a form of some sort?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

quincy

Ideas cannot be copyrighted, but the expressions of these ideas are copyrightable. An expression of an idea can include format.

The content of "Gig: Americans Talk About Their Jobs" is, essentially, an updated version of Studs Terkel's "Working," published in 1972. The idea for interviewing people about their professions, therefore, is an idea that has been copied once and can be copied again. You must be careful, however, not to so closely mimic the style and format of either of these books that your work can be confused with the others.

It is always wise and advised to have any book idea and/or manuscript reviewed by a professional prior to thoughts of publication, to avoid the possibility of any legal conflict arising from your work. A professional well-versed in publishing law can help you edit your publication to eliminate any areas that are legally problematic. It is also wise and advised to have insurance enough to cover the costs of any lawsuit that may arise over your book's content, despite your best efforts to avoid one.

As for the necessity of release forms when pseudonyms will be used, I recommend you obtain releases. Many of those you interview could still be identifiable by what they say and, when someone is identified or identifiable, there is a greater risk of a lawsuit arising from what they say.

Good luck with your book. It sounds like it will be an interesting one. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">