• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support without DNA test?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsemon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY/CT

From the time I was 18 until I was 20, I dated this girl who I was, at the time, absolutely in love with... She ended up breaking up with me and dated another guy for ~6 months. Afterwards, She came back to me, and like a love-sick idiot, I took her back. A couple months later, she found out she was pregnant and about a month after that, she broke up with me again. I tried a million times to get back together with her. When it was time for the baby to be born, I was not allowed to enter the hospital. I also later found out that no father's name was listed on the birth certificate either. Shortly thereafter, my ex signed her rights over to her parents (the child's grandparents). I was allowed to see the child very little and I was told that as long as I didn't take them to court for custody, I could see her any time I wanted and they would not ask for child support. Within the first two years, I was able to see her 5-6 times. I became curious as to weather she was actually my child or not. She has blonde hair and both I and her mother have dark brown/black hair. The guy she dated when she split up with me had blonde hair... I nonchalantly brought up the fact that I would like a DNA test done a couple times and was threatened (by the child's grandfather) that if I tried to take custody of her, he would kill me... I'm sure it's all talk, but I'm easily intimidated as this guy is huge and I am pretty small. All of this took place in KY.

After all of this, I decided to cut my losses and move on. I moved out of state to where I now live in CT.

Today, I received a letter in the mail explaining that I am required to provide copies of my tax returns for the past two years, a wage statement from my employer and any health insurance coverage (if any) I have had on the child. It then moves on to say that an order establishing child support will be issued, along with an order to provide medical insurance.

As stated before, there hasn't been any DNA/Paternity tests done, nor is my name on the birth certificate. What rights do I have? How should I handle this? Also, would I have to go there for a DNA/Paternity test, if I request this or can it be done with me here 800 miles away? If it is proved that the child is in fact mine, should I try to get custody? She is 7 years old now and I'm not sure that she even remembers me any more. :(

Help me out guys!

Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

You have the right to demand a DNA test.

If the child is yours, you can certainly file for custody. Since the child is not living with Mom, you would be next in line. Depending on the child's current age, there might have to be a reintroduction period. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if you file for custody if the child suddenly is living with Mom again - at least when it comes to testimony in court.

I would suggest getting an attorney in CT.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">