• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Avoiding Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

j_lowery23

I was arrested and incarcerated for a year in North Carolina for failure to pay court ordered child support for 2 separate cases. My mom paid a purge amount and I was released on house arrest. I went to court twice a month (1 time a month for each case) and paid an amount determined by the court. After 5 months of doing this and being on house arrest, I cut off the ankle bracelet and moved to Maryland. My questions are: will Maryland actively seek me out since I am now delinquent on both cases (arrears equal $17,000) and I have 2 active warrants for my arrest in NC? I would like to clear this up eventually and would like to know what the legal consequences are for my actions? Will Maryland ever detect me and arrest me for child support even though the court orders are in NC, if they do will NC extradite me for the active warrants? I don't know what is going to happen to me now....

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I was arrested and incarcerated for a year in North Carolina for failure to pay court ordered child support for 2 separate cases. My mom paid a purge amount and I was released on house arrest. I went to court twice a month (1 time a month for each case) and paid an amount determined by the court. After 5 months of doing this and being on house arrest, I cut off the ankle bracelet and moved to Maryland. My questions are: will Maryland actively seek me out since I am now delinquent on both cases (arrears equal $17,000) and I have 2 active warrants for my arrest in NC? I would like to clear this up eventually and would like to know what the legal consequences are for my actions? Will Maryland ever detect me and arrest for child support, if they do will NC extradite me for the active warrants? I don't know what is going to happen to me now....

As Zig said, you REALLY need an attorney.

You've seriously messed up here - it's one thing being behind in child support, but to cut off your ankle bracelet and go on the run?

THAT is SERIOUS. You may find yourself wishing you were only owing the child support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Man... it's bad enough screwing over your kid. And your ex. But your Mom? Really? You let her bail you out by paying a purge amount and then you take off? THAT is cold.

Please be sure to disclose your lack of character to any woman you are involved with now (or will be in the future). Repugnant.

j_lowery23

You're Right

I know what I did was wrong. I didn't even tell my girlfriend at the time or my mom I was leaving and they were the ones that stayed with me through all of this for the 5 months I was in NC. I just hopped on a GreyHound bus and left the ankle bracelet behind. It's only been 4 months, I'm homeless and had to engage this older girl I met in Maryland after 3 months just so I could bum places to sleep off her family because she doesn't have a permanent residence. I know I messed up and I want to fix it...I just don't know where to begin and I would like to brace myself for what I'm getting ready to go through....

Proserpina

I know what I did was wrong. I didn't even tell my girlfriend at the time or my mom I was leaving and they were the ones that stayed with me through all of this for the 5 months I was in NC. I just hopped on a GreyHound bus and left the ankle bracelet behind. It's only been 4 months, I'm homeless and had to engage this older girl I met in Maryland after 3 months just so I could bum places to sleep off her family because she doesn't have a permanent residence. I know I messed up and I want to fix it...I just don't know where to begin and I would like to brace myself for what I'm getting ready to go through....

I'm honestly not being facetious here.

But if you turn yourself in, there's at least a chance you'll get a roof over your head and 3 meals a day...

j_lowery23

Turn Myself In Where?

Do I turn myself in in Maryland or go back to NC? If I turn myself in Maryland, will NC extradite me? If I'm in Maryland with the warrants in NC how long will I be incarcerated? In NC you have to stay in jail until a purge is set and the amount paid and the longer you sit in jail, they drop the purge amount with each court date...do the same rules apply in Maryland?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So you got engaged to a girl in MD in order to bum off her? Seriously? You are scum.

If you want to avoid ever paying child support you should have avoided EVER having sex. YOu didn't. This will follow you forever. And you may have felony charges against you at this point. House arrest? It is possible you will find yourself charged with escape.

Proserpina

Dude, you cut off your freakin' HOUSE ARREST bracelet. What the heck do you THINK is going to happen? You're not Shia LaBeouf or Famke Janssen and this ain't a movie script.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">