• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Arrearages, Hold on Bank acct and hearing coming up... HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

growjello

TEXAS, I have a $5700 hold on my bank account due to child support arrearages. I also have a hearing coming up in two days. will I go jail? If I get the custodial parent to agree to drop all child support will the hold on the bank account go away?

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

TEXAS, I have a $5700 hold on my bank account due to child support arrearages. I also have a hearing coming up in two days. will I go jail? If I get the custodial parent to agree to drop all child support will the hold on the bank account go away?
I'm sorry, OP.... it doesn't work that way. If you have $5700 in your account... WHY SHOULDN'T you pay what you owe the CP for monies already spent on the child? Why would you think that it's in the CP's hands on a bank garnishment?

growjello

I dont have the funds available but I take care of my son, buy him what he needs and do everything i can for him

sandyclaus

I dont have the funds available but I take care of my son, buy him what he needs and do everything i can for him
Obviously someone thinks that you DO have the funds available, which is most likely why the hold was placed on the account in the first place.

How much is in your bank account at present, and how much is the total arrearage?

And if they made the efforts to have a hold placed on your bank account for the unpaid child support, I find it very unlikely that the CP is going to release you from your obligation to pay for your child. It's not in the child's best interest to let you get away with that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
i had a zero balance...so now it shows negative $5700...
And the fact that you are NEGATIVE that amount will prevent you from EVER getting another checking account due to the new systems in place. In other words, until you pay that $5700 (time to beg, borrow and plead) you are going to be broke.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">