• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

From NY to Colorado post adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xxgrizzlybearxx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado/NY

I live in Colorado, the Mom is in NY.
now we get into the "muck"

originally I was garnished of a testified wage she stated that I never made, I appealed to the local court with proof of paystubs etc.., to the district courts, and wrote all congressmen and senators, all denied or not answered.

now onto the current issue
She's married and I was convinced it was in the childs best interests to be adopted by the father he knows. I consented. child was adopted near three years ago by her husband.

I am STILL getting support amounts (no arrears) but current weekly bills and garnishments. (I presume since the garnishment is near 60% it MUST be arrears even though the support bills dont say that). Also the support amount keeps climbing up instead of diminishing as I'd presume it should.

Ive asked the mother when she reported the adoption to NY, no answer, I've also requested for a copy of the papers we signed for adoption and waiver of rights, so that I could send it to NY, she states she "cannot find them"

what are my options here? I cant get the adoption racords elsewhere can I? I'm presuming since I waived my rights I dont have that ability?

My goal here is to stop the weekly amount of support that both her, and her lawyer said they would do (have in writing from both) then perhaps reassess how much money has been taken over the past few years..honestly is the extra amount taken can offset the substantial amounts I've continued to be charged, Id love to call it square....(one battle at a time eh?)

seems very difficult to do from so far away and get very little help from the local court house.

another question? I received a bill from NY state taxation and finance.. could that be support related? It looks like state taxes to me and I've not lived or worked in NY, well ever short of being born there 30 years ago.

please advise?

nextwife

File for a visitation schedule. Betcha she suddenly comes up with the adoption papers to challenge your right to visitation.

IMHO: the adoption and termination of parental rights should occur simultaneously, or pass through the hands of a third party intermediary (like an escrow company) so these sorts of issues can't happen.

Last edited:

LdiJ

File for a visitation schedule. Betcha she suddenly comes up with the adoption papers to challenge your right to visitation.

IMHO: the adoption and termination of parental rights should occur simultaneously, or pass through rthe hands of a third party intermediary (like an escrow company) so these sorts of issues can't happen.
That honestly might be the best option.

BL

1-800-846-0773 automated info.

Child Support Customer Service Helpline (CSH) at 1-888-208-4485

NYS Department of Social Services Division of Child Support Enforcement 40 North Pearl Street, 13thFloorAlbany, New York 12243-0001

Honestly , If you are still being garnished for current CS obligations you may have to file a modification in NY in the county where jurisdiction now is .

Possibly if you can not afford to travel ,you might want to request a telifonic hearing with the court . You might want to send in copies of those to letters you have to the court's clerk office to have them entered into record .

21. How do I obtain adoption records?

As you may know, New York State adoption records are sealed.

The New York State Office of Children and Family Services does not maintain adoption records. You should begin your search by contacting the agency and the county Department of Social Services that handled your case. In addition, the New York State Health Department's Adoption Registry may have records related to your specific adoption history.

Three kinds of information may be available from the Registry: non-identifying, identifying, and medical:
Non-identifying Information: If you are adopted or if you are the biological sibling of an adopted person, you can get non-identifying information about your birth parents even if they do not register with the Adoption Registry or consent to sharing. This includes their general appearance, religion, ethnicity, race, education, occupation, etc.; the name of the agency that arranged the adoption; and the facts and circumstances relating to the nature and cause of the adoption.
Identifying Information: If all are registered and all have given their final consents, adoptees and their birth parents, or adoptees and their biological siblings can share their current names and addresses. If only one parent signed the surrender agreement or consented to the adoption, then the registration of the other parent is not needed for the exchange of identifying information between the adoptee and the registered birth parent.
Medical Information: Birth parents can give medical and psychological information to the Registry any time after the adoption. If the adoptee is already registered, the information will be shared with him or her. If the adoptee is not registered, the information will be kept until the adoptee registers. The information is important to adoptees because it can indicate if they have a higher risk of some diseases. Medical information updates must be certified by a licensed health care provider.
Additional details about the Adoption Registry are located at New York State Health Department's Adoption Registry, or you can call (518) 474-9600.

The address and phone number of a specific county department of social services can be found on the OCFS website at the following link: Local Departments of Social Services - New York State Office of Children & Family Services.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">