• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying eight hundred dollars a month in child support at ten dollars an hour.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnAsmith317

I live in han**** county indiana and I make 10$ an hour and get paid every two weeks. I pay almost 500$ every check for one child and I have a child that my girlfriend and I take care of also. I work in landscaping so during the winter 40 hours isn't guaranteed. I have went a month with a zero dollar check an my last check was for 11$. I was able to buy my daughter a pack of diapers. My girlfriend is a full time student and makes 160$ a week for two kids and we can not get food assistance because of my gross income. We are struggling can you help us please?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JohnAsmith317

You need a second job, and your g/f needs to get one. Seriously.
I was told if I got a second job they would also take from that job also. And she cannot afford a sitter for a second job or else we would be doing so. I've Ben. Getting hours doing odd end things at my job but I don't see anything from it and she shows up in court with her hair and nails done and she doesn't work. I don't get it I can't even support myself.

I was told if I got a second job they would also take from that job also. And she cannot afford a sitter for a second job or else we would be doing so. I've Ben. Getting hours doing odd end things at my job but I don't see anything from it and she shows up in court with her hair and nails done and she doesn't work. I don't get it I can't even support myself.
I understand that it doesn't always seem fair when one parent seems to be doing so well while the other one is struggling. However, the courts only consider the two parties' personal incomes and then allocate those appropriately based on their calculations of how much it costs to care for the child/children each month. Other factors such as how one parent spends their money or other sources of income (i.e. spouse, family, gf/bf) are not relevant to the courts. As long as that child is being adequately cared for and incomes are accurately reported to the court, that is all they are concerned with. I think the majority of paying parents (I have been guilty of this at times as well) tend to forget that the other parent is paying for shelter, food, utilities, transportation and other daily expenses for that child. So if they take that child support check and go shopping with it, it does not matter. It all evens out in the long run.

JohnAsmith317

They cannot withhold that much from your check.
That's what I thought. I looked up the laws and only a certain percentage can be taken out. I made 16,000 last year gross and she got 7,890 of it. And not to mention taxes and the court told her that in springtime when I start getting overtime that she can bring me in for a modification for more!! I can't afford a lawyer..

JohnAsmith317

I understand that it doesn't always seem fair when one parent seems to be doing so well while the other one is struggling. However, the courts only consider the two parties' personal incomes and then allocate those appropriately based on their calculations of how much it costs to care for the child/children each month. Other factors such as how one parent spends their money or other sources of income (i.e. spouse, family, gf/bf) are not relevant to the courts. As long as that child is being adequately cared for and incomes are accurately reported to the court, that is all they are concerned with. I think the majority of paying parents (I have been guilty of this at times as well) tend to forget that the other parent is paying for shelter, food, utilities, transportation and other daily expenses for that child. So if they take that child support check and go shopping with it, it does not matter. It all evens out in the long run.
I understand that I do. I just feel like one of my children is getting treated better than my other, my girl is trying the best she can to support all of us she gets child support and school money and she's Inthe national guard so she tries what she can to get some kind of work from them also. I can see her stress and it makes me feel like a POS because no matter how hard I try I cannot contribute the way she needs me to.

Are you in arrears, John?

What do you mean by "zero dollar check" for the month? Are they taking the entire check for child support? .

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title24/ar4.5/ch5.html

At most, they can get 65% of your net. If you have had them take more, then you need to talk with your boss to have him help you with the payroll end.

They are not allowed to take your entire paycheck for child support.

If your paycheck doesn't cover your basic child support obligation weekly, then the remaining amount will put you in arrears. When was the last time you had your child support obligation reviewed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">