• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support modified between states?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1dakine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii
Hello all,
Here is my situation: I live in Hawaii and I have a child support order from california for twin girls 4 years old. Ex is married with a new one but just recently moved to Arizona with my kids for school for two years, husband is still in Cali.

Am I stuck with the California order or can I modify it to Arizona guidelines?

I did some calculations: I currently pay about $2000 for California child support. Arizona calculations show I would pay about $1300 only. I like that.

Do I go thru California to modify or Arizona?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Proserpina

Hello all,
Here is my situation: I live in Hawaii and I have a child support order from california for twin girls 4 years old. Ex is married with a new one but just recently moved to Arizona with my kids for school for two years, husband is still in Cali.

I did some calculations: I currently pay about $2000 for California child support. Arizona calculations show I would pay about $1300 only. I like that.

Ah, no, that's not how it works. You'll still be paying the CA amount, but Arizona will enforce the payments once the order is domesticated.

1dakine

thanks proserpina for your reply.

So, even if she never moves back to California? She is planning of moving to Oregon after school in Arizona.

Proserpina

thanks proserpina for your reply.

So, even if she never moves back to California? She is planning of moving to Oregon after school in Arizona.

Even if.

Not unless SHE agrees to dropping the CA order and refiling through wherever she's living.

mistoffolees

Even if.

Not unless SHE agrees to dropping the CA order and refiling through wherever she's living.
I think OP can ask for the order to be domesticated to AZ under some circumstances since no one lives in CA any more. I would speak with an attorney about the rules for domestication to AZ. It's not easy, though, and if Mom wants to challenge it, it could get messy.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Hello all,

Interstate Enforcement of Child Support

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">