• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income Going Up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am in Illinois and my income will be going up this year. Do I have to inform my ex at the time it goes up? I did that last year in court and the judge told me I didn't have to. Confusing!?!

I share my W2 with my ex each year, but am I obligated to inform her of every wage/bonus increase? I am concerned with having to pay backpay if I don't communicate this info to her. Other than the W2 there is nothing in the orders about wage increases.

How does the court typically handle something like this?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am in Illinois and my income will be going up this year. Do I have to inform my ex at the time it goes up? I did that last year in court and the judge told me I didn't have to. Confusing!?!

I share my W2 with my ex each year, but am I obligated to inform her of every wage/bonus increase? I am concerned with having to pay backpay if I don't communicate this info to her. Other than the W2 there is nothing in the orders about wage increases.

How does the court typically handle something like this?
Get out your child support and custody orders. Read them. They should answer your question. If there is nothing but exchanging W2s in them, then no, you don't have to tell her about your raise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">