• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody & child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wonders212

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas

I am having some problems with my son's behavior. One thing that has been mentioned is that he goes to live with his Dad. He is 15 years old. I am the custodial parent. Can this be done on a trial basis? Then also I'm wondering what about child support? I'm willing to help but what if this turns out to be bigger and ugly as hope it doesn't turn into. Could he take me to court that I abandoned my child? I am going to take my son to counseling but that is a couple of weeks till 1st session.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas

I am having some problems with my son's behavior. One thing that has been mentioned is that he goes to live with his Dad. He is 15 years old. I am the custodial parent. Can this be done on a trial basis? Then also I'm wondering what about child support? I'm willing to help but what if this turns out to be bigger and ugly as hope it doesn't turn into. Could he take me to court that I abandoned my child? I am going to take my son to counseling but that is a couple of weeks till 1st session.
If you want your son to go live with dad, I suggest you make a legal change in custody. This way everything is above board, including the fact that the child's father will be properly comensated as you have been properly compensated for being the custodial parent.

mistoffolees

If you want your son to go live with dad, I suggest you make a legal change in custody. This way everything is above board, including the fact that the child's father will be properly comensated as you have been properly compensated for being the custodial parent.
However, note that you can't really do that on a trial basis. Once you give custody to Dad, getting it back would be difficult.

OP, what do you have in mind for a 'trial basis'? If you're talking about a couple of weeks, just talk with Dad and the kid can go on vacation for a few weeks. If you're talking about a year, it's basically permanent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">