• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical and dental expenses ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

My ex was supposed to have dental insurance for our child and (it's been 4.5 years) and he never obtained dental, and it's all been high conflict - if I try to get reimbursement for medical/dental, he threatens to take me to court over something else.

So now our child needs braces. A month ago, after a therapy session where this had come up, he said shockingly that he would pay for her braces. (He is retired, but has a substantial income).

Then suddenly he emailed me the amount that was my responsibility and said he would/could take it out of my child support.

I work full time, but it's fairly well understood that I'm circling the drain financially, lost my home last year, etc. I only pursued the braces because he pledged to pay - I'm not in a position to commit to this, at least not today. I don't want to commit and then be "sued" in a couple of months because I couldn't keep up with the payments (or have other issues because he is taking this out of my child support).

So now we are back and forth about the dental insurance, all of the dental bills he never reimbursed, how much this would have cost if he had the insurance, the regular dental that will need to be done while she has braces; other dental issues (a potential chipped tooth).

I know it's pathetic to hear about high-conflict couples, but what is the bottom line in this case and how might one approach it rationally? (I don't know if our divorce decree references orthodontics, and he feels that he doesn't actually have to carry the dental because of the "reasonable cost" clause).

Again, I don't think it specifically references "orthodontics".

He is required to carry medical/dental. (He claims that he doesn't have to carry supplemental dental because of the phrase "if it can be obtained at reasonable cost" ... the medical insurance gives a paltry amount, like $11, for preventive care and the dentists won't even process it, but he says it meets his obligation for dental insurance).

Medical reimbursements: in any calendar year, after one person has paid $250we split "unreimbursed medical expenses" such as co-pays, medical bills, prescriptions, eyeglasses, etc., based on relative income. (Up until today he stated that in each month it had to get to $150 before he had to reimburse, but he was quoting the section on childcare reimbursement - amazingly he just found the correct language. Otherwise, if I bring up reimbursements, he has said "oh, since you brought that up, I'm going to sue you over (something else)").

So that's it.

TinkerBelleLuvr

He is required to carry medical/dental. (He claims that he doesn't have to carry supplemental dental because of the phrase "if it can be obtained at reasonable cost" ... the medical insurance gives a paltry amount, like $11, for preventive care and the dentists won't even process it, but he says it meets his obligation for dental insurance).

Medical reimbursements: in any calendar year, after one person has paid $250we split "unreimbursed medical expenses" such as co-pays, medical bills, prescriptions, eyeglasses, etc., based on relative income. (Up until today he stated that in each month it had to get to $150 before he had to reimburse, but he was quoting the section on childcare reimbursement - amazingly he just found the correct language. Otherwise, if I bring up reimbursements, he has said "oh, since you brought that up, I'm going to sue you over (something else)").

So that's it.
if he isn't reimbursing you after you have submitted the bills, take HIM to court for contempt.

mistoffolees

So that's it.
If dental insurance isn't available at reasonable cost then he doesn't have to provide it if the order says that he only has to provide it if it's available at reasonable cost.

But note that he is only required to follow the letter of the order. If the order doesn't spell out orthodontics, then they may be covered only if medically necessary and not if they're cosmetic.

And there may be a time limit as to how quickly you have to provide him with the bills.

As for the rest, I'm not going to speculate until you tell us what the order says - word for word, but without the names. I'm not interested in your interpretation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">