• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a Technology Consulting Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trailblazer04

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I'm looking to start a consulting business where I basically sell my time at an hourly rate, to provide technology consulting services for home and small businesses. I have been doing this for a few years on a personal level, but looking to expand and broaden my customer base. In speaking with a friend, he advised me that an LLC is not necessary in my case, since there is no more protection, but instead to register a DBA with the county clerk, get some errors and omissions insurance, and just do a schedule C for an income tax return, and that a Tax ID wouldn't be necessary.

Does this advice make sense? What are the Pros/Cons for doing the above vs an LLC.

I'm not sure of what my DBA name would be yet, or how it would work if I would at some point want to change it. Perhaps initially something like My Name dba ABC Consulting. Or is an LLC the best way to go?

As of right now I would be the only one providing services, working for myself, but would like to keep things flexible in case I ever would need to expand, and perhaps require the assistance of sub-contractors.

Thank you so much in advance for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">