• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Law change????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elaine60

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana Can someone please read this and see if you think this law has passed? Son will be 19 in 3 months and graduated midterm. From what I can read this states this will go into affect on July 01, 2012. When I got set up for support I had it taken out of my wages. Will I have to notify the court that he had already turned 19, 3 months earlier. Also will the state notify my employer? Or will they just keep taking support out unless I file something in court???? Thanks

A bill that would change Indiana law so that parents don't have to pay child support after a child turns 19 passed a Senate committee Tuesday.

Senate Bill 18 moved out of the Senate Correction, Criminal and Civil Matters Committee on a 7-2 vote.

The bill would require parents to pay support only until their children turn 19, with an exception for educational payments. Indiana law now requires child support payments until children turn 21.

Sen. Brent Steele, R-Bedford, the committee chairman, said the measure would put Indiana in line with most other states' child support legislation.

The bill now moves to the full Senate

Last edited:

ecmst12

I don't know what law you are talking about but you usually need to file in court to stop child support when your child has aged out.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana Can someone please read this and see if you think this law has passed? Son will be 19 in 3 months and graduated midterm. From what I can read this states this will go into affect on July 01, 2012. When I got set up for support I had it taken out of my wages. Will I have to notify the court that he had already turned 19, 3 months earlier. Also will the state notify my employer? Or will they just keep taking support out unless I file something in court???? Thanks

A bill that would change Indiana law so that parents don't have to pay child support after a child turns 19 passed a Senate committee Tuesday.

Senate Bill 18 moved out of the Senate Correction, Criminal and Civil Matters Committee on a 7-2 vote.

The bill would require parents to pay support only until their children turn 19, with an exception for educational payments. Indiana law now requires child support payments until children turn 21.

Sen. Brent Steele, R-Bedford, the committee chairman, said the measure would put Indiana in line with most other states' child support legislation.

If and when the bill becomes law, come back her and tell us exactly what the law says. Then tell us exactly what your court order says (word for word, but without the names).

I will say that in many states, support is not required past the age of majority, but the judge has discretion to order it for a number of reasons.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana Can someone please read this and see if you think this law has passed?
{snip}

{snip}
No, it has not yet passed. It's just a bill, not a law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">