• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misskellybabbee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? kentucky. :confused: i have an 11 year old daughter her father was order to pay child support when she was 2 in the amount of 42 dollars a wk the order has not changed.he has never paid. recently the state retrieved a lump sum payment but since he was in rears with the state they withheld the money. i havent recieved any state or government assistance since she was 6. the moneywas retreived in november 2011 ...shouldnt atleast a portion of that money come to her??? i mean understand that the state is due money but so is she... right?? so why didnt they split it up????

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? kentucky. :confused: i have an 11 year old daughter her father was order to pay child support when she was 2 in the amount of 42 dollars a wk the order has not changed.he has never paid. recently the state retrieved a lump sum payment but since he was in rears with the state they withheld the money. i havent recieved any state or government assistance since she was 6. the moneywas retreived in november 2011 ...shouldnt atleast a portion of that money come to her??? i mean understand that the state is due money but so is she... right?? so why didnt they split it up????
The state gets repaid first. That's the way it works.

mommyof4

Because at some point, your daughter DID receive support (via the state) and that debt will be repaid before any money collected comes directly to your daughter.

Antigone*

It looks to me like the state gave it to him in the rears too:p.

That one made me giggle. Thanks.:)

Mommyof4 ~ it's been too long. Good to see you back!

misskellybabbee

ok well thanks for the input .but just got off the phone with child support and i was correct they where supposed to give her a portion of the money ....

mommyof4

ok well thanks for the input .but just got off the phone with child support and i was correct they where supposed to give her a portion of the money ....
I'm sure the taxpayers that helped support your daughter appreciate that.

Did the state collect enough to pay the debt and have some left over to apply to the child support? That's the only way I can think that your daughter would receive money with the state (ie: the taxpayers) being owed money.

misskellybabbee

first my daughter is owed more than the state is. second i am a taxpayer. and yes i appreciate it very much. ive payed more into my state then ive taken out.

Last edited:

Zigner

first my daughter is owed more than the state is.
No, you misunderstand. Let's say that this "lump sum" was $1,000. If the state is owed $1,500 and your daughter is owed $5,000, then the state will get the entire amount. Was the lump-sum enough to pay the state in full and then have some left over for your daughter.

second i am a taxpayer. and yes i appreciate it very much. ive payed more into my state then ive taken out.
Congrats.

misskellybabbee

i understood ...i was responding to mommyof4....my child is owed over 11 thousand dollars. the state is owed 2 thousand they collected 1200...i have to go to the office monday and they are going to calculate how much will be placed to current support and how much to back pay

Zigner

i understood ...i was responding to mommyof4....my child is owed over 11 thousand dollars. the state is owed 2 thousand they collected 1200...i have to go to the office monday and they are going to calculate how much will be placed to current support and how much to back pay
Right - the state gets paid first for the money they paid you on your child's behalf.

And, I'll call your 11k and raise it 139k ;)

Right - the state gets paid first for the money they paid you on your child's behalf.

And, I'll call your 11k and raise it 139k ;)
Wow! I believe that is the highest amount I have seen. Feel free to tell me to mind my own business but how did it get so high and has the state done anything to try and collect? I'm sure you've done everything you can but I'm just amazed at that number.

TNBSMommy

Just want to point out your DAUGHTER is owed nothing, YOU are. That isn't her money, that is reimbursement to you for what you've paid out in supporting her full time the last 11 years.

mommyof4

Just want to point out your DAUGHTER is owed nothing, YOU are. That isn't her money, that is reimbursement to you for what you've paid out in supporting her full time the last 11 years.
You are, of course, correct. I definitely should have clarified.

Zigner

Wow! I believe that is the highest amount I have seen. Feel free to tell me to mind my own business but how did it get so high and has the state done anything to try and collect? I'm sure you've done everything you can but I'm just amazed at that number.
Ex is unemployed (and virtually unemployable). She had her wages imputed and she's ignored it for well over 15 years. She's out of state, and this doesn't qualify as a "willful" failure to pay support since she doesn't now have a job, nor has she ever had a job. Shrug. But, I'm looking forward to receiving my own little lottery payout someday...someday...someday.

Ex is unemployed (and virtually unemployable). She had her wages imputed and she's ignored it for well over 15 years. She's out of state, and this doesn't qualify as a "willful" failure to pay support since she doesn't now have a job, nor has she ever had a job. Shrug. But, I'm looking forward to receiving my own little lottery payout someday...someday...someday.
It is what it is....I hope you do *wink*

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">