• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nmomneedshelp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

In Aug 2011 I was overpaid on my child support. I was unaware that it was mistakenly put in my account because my sons father is behind on support and always has been. I just thought it was some back support owed to my son. However the Child Support Office has admitted to me that it was their mistake. And as of Jan. 3, 2012 they have put my account on hold and is taking my sons support to pay back their mess-up. What can I do?! Please help me!!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

In Aug 2011 I was overpaid on my child support. I was unaware that it was mistakenly put in my account because my sons father is behind on support and always has been. I just thought it was some back support owed to my son. However the Child Support Office has admitted to me that it was their mistake. And as of Jan. 3, 2012 they have put my account on hold and is taking my sons support to pay back their mess-up. What can I do?! Please help me!!
Not much. If you received more than you were entitled to, you should have noticed it - and not used the excess.

Nmomneedshelp

I did notice it...but I was and still am owed back support so how was I to know that they messed up and that was not my son's back support that was owed to me. So now my son gets screwed out of his support because of an error they made?

Antigone*

I did notice it...but I was and still am owed back support so how was I to know that they messed up and that was not my son's back support that was owed to me. So now my son gets screwed out of his support because of an error they made?
He is not screwed out of his support. Apparently dad never paid it so it was not his to begin with.

Nmomneedshelp

His dad is paying the minimum of what he has to pay every 2 weeks....they are withholding that until the mistake that they made is paid back. Is that fair to my son?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">