• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not wanting to collect child support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DallasY88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana

I am currently on pregnant and on Medicaid and due in 9 days. The father left me when I was 5 months pregnant and I have not seen or heard from him since. He and his family have never shown any support during my pregnancy. I have even been harassed by his mother and threatened to be sued for no reason by her. My caseworker is making me fill out child support papers since I am on Medicaid. I do not want to do it. I don't want to collect child support from the dead beat father, and I will not be putting his name on the birth certificate. I am afraid that collecting child support will give the father rights to the baby. I do not trust him or his family and they all have problems (drunks, convicted felons, druggies, and just all around bad people), and I refuse to let my baby be raised around that if he was granted rights. Also, I don't want my baby having a different last name than mine. So my question is, if I fill out these papers and turn them in, will I be forced to collect child support and give the father rights? Or can I refuse child support and just have him out of mine and my baby's life completely?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

I am currently on pregnant and on Medicaid and due in 9 days. The father left me when I was 5 months pregnant and I have not seen or heard from him since. He and his family have never shown any support during my pregnancy. I have even been harassed by his mother and threatened to be sued for no reason by her. My caseworker is making me fill out child support papers since I am on Medicaid. I do not want to do it. I don't want to collect child support from the dead beat father, and I will not be putting his name on the birth certificate. I am afraid that collecting child support will give the father rights to the baby. I do not trust him or his family and they all have problems (drunks, convicted felons, druggies, and just all around bad people), and I refuse to let my baby be raised around that if he was granted rights. Also, I don't want my baby having a different last name than mine. So my question is, if I fill out these papers and turn them in, will I be forced to collect child support and give the father rights? Or can I refuse child support and just have him out of mine and my baby's life completely?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If you didn't want to have collection procedures against dad to be enforced you should have never accepted the Medicaid. Since you did, now you must comply. The taxpayers have a right to see that both parents be held accountable.

The mere enforcement of child support will not grant this man any rights other than to open his wallet.

spinkitten

Child support and custody are 2 different things.

You may feel at this time that support is not important, but in the long run it will come in handy.

As far as having sex with the wrong person even though it felt right at the time doesnt call for that kind of statement, we dont know the details, birth control could have failed, other circumstances may be involved.

I get tired of seeing so many men out there thinking its OK NOT to pay their share.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Please IMMEDIATELY cancel medicaid. Do not go on ANY state aid. NEVER in the future get state aid for you or your child. Then you can refuse child support and to establish paternity.

I don't want to support your child when you don't want the man you willingly slept with and allowed to create this child to support the child. Why did you have sex with such a horrible person?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Child support and custody are 2 different things.

You may feel at this time that support is not important, but in the long run it will come in handy.

As far as having sex with the wrong person even though it felt right at the time doesnt call for that kind of statement, we dont know the details, birth control could have failed, other circumstances may be involved.

I get tired of seeing so many men out there thinking its OK NOT to pay their share.
Birth control may have failed but an abortion would have worked. Or better yet, not having sex with a horrible person you don't want around would have been a better idea. Abstinence -- 100% reliable.

I get tired of seeing women want to use men as a wallet and not want them around the child they allowed said man to help create.

Silverplum

I get tired of seeing women want to use men as a wallet and not want them around the child they allowed said man to help create.
Me, also.

I also get tired of newbies who are here to ASK questions and then meddle in the threads of other posters. :mad:

spinkitten

First off, maybe abortion is not her cup of tea.

Secondly BOTH people should be held responsible.

I do agree that if the man wants to be involved in the childs life, then more power to them, I think it is wonderful.

There are many people out there that can portray a "good" side to them and one little or BIG thing can bring out the worst.

I was with my first love for 12 years, got pregnant and wouldnt you know it, he tossed me to the curb and 18yrs later he still hasnt changed, has been a big disappointment to my daughter. I never said one bad word about him to her, I figured one day she will learn the truth about him on her own and I was right.

Yeah I get it, some people dont like the fact women are on public assistance, would you rather her not get any medical treatment? Then who would be suffering? So who should be treated fairly? A person who complains about their tax dollars or an innocent baby

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
First off, maybe abortion is not her cup of tea.

Secondly BOTH people should be held responsible.

I do agree that if the man wants to be involved in the childs life, then more power to them, I think it is wonderful.

There are many people out there that can portray a "good" side to them and one little or BIG thing can bring out the worst.

I was with my first love for 12 years, got pregnant and wouldnt you know it, he tossed me to the curb and 18yrs later he still hasnt changed, has been a big disappointment to my daughter. I never said one bad word about him to her, I figured one day she will learn the truth about him on her own and I was right.

Yeah I get it, some people dont like the fact women are on public assistance, would you rather her not get any medical treatment? Then who would be suffering? So who should be treated fairly? A person who complains about their tax dollars or an innocent baby
Blah blah blah. NOT a legal word there. LEGALLY, the OP asked how to avoid filing for child support. LEGALLY, she can only do that if she is NOT receiving any state aid. And never receives state aid. Since she is getting medicaid SHE MUST FILE FOR CHILD SUPPORT.

As for the rest of your little gripe and whinefest -- don't really care much. It doesn't matter.

Legally if she wanted nothing to do with the father and the birth control failed, then her LAST LEGAL OPTION was abortion. That was the ONLY way she can prevent daddy from ever being involved in any way, shape or form, LEGALLY.

Granted you don't seem to like the legalities. Go back to your own thread though and try not to post until you learn something.

mistoffolees

Please IMMEDIATELY cancel medicaid. Do not go on ANY state aid. NEVER in the future get state aid for you or your child. Then you can refuse child support and to establish paternity.

I don't want to support your child when you don't want the man you willingly slept with and allowed to create this child to support the child. Why did you have sex with such a horrible person?
While I agree that Mom and Dad should be responsible, simply canceling Medicaid may not be the least expensive option for us taxpayers.

Prenatal care, routine infant care, vaccinations, etc are by far the most cost-effective medical care out there. If OP cancels Medicaid and doesn't get the appropriate care, the child could end up costing taxpayers hundreds or thousands of times as much as the preventative care would have been.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
While I agree that Mom and Dad should be responsible, simply canceling Medicaid may not be the least expensive option for us taxpayers.

Prenatal care, routine infant care, vaccinations, etc are by far the most cost-effective medical care out there. If OP cancels Medicaid and doesn't get the appropriate care, the child could end up costing taxpayers hundreds or thousands of times as much as the preventative care would have been.
I understand that. I really do. However, OP apparently believes that she shouldn't have to have contact with the person she allowed to impregnate her because she is beyond him now and is too good to put up with him now that she is having his baby. Well, she doesn't get to make that choice if you, me and the rest of the workforce are going to be paying for her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">