• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hoochieturtle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I owe back child support. The mother is deceased.... She also owes me more support then what I owe as I received custody of my daughter.

I currently have a wage garnishment for my other daughter. They have garnished my wage even more for the back arrears for my daughter I had custody of.

Can they still garnish for back child support? What about the amount she owes me can it be credited towards my arrears? she owes me like 10k and I only owe like 2k but she is deceased now. so I wont see a dime, and there is no estate.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I owe back child support. The mother is deceased.... She also owes me more support then what I owe as I received custody of my daughter.

I currently have a wage garnishment for my other daughter. They have garnished my wage even more for the back arrears for my daughter I had custody of.

Can they still garnish for back child support? What about the amount she owes me can it be credited towards my arrears? she owes me like 10k and I only owe like 2k but she is deceased now. so I wont see a dime, and there is no estate.

Please explain again how Mom owed you anything?

There is a reason I'm asking.

Proserpina

her mother died last year, order was changed in 2009

Okay.

So, obviously the arrears stopped accruing upon her death.

Whatever accrued between 2009 and Mom's death, you can request the amount is credited towards your arrears.

Have you actually tried speaking with Oregon CSE about this? They might be more helpful than you anticipate :)

hoochieturtle

I asked when she first passed. guess I will ask again and see if they will credit the arrears. I would be happy them just making my arrears even. Not worried about the rest owed to me. Probably wouldn't see it anyhow.

Thanks for your time

Proserpina

I asked when she first passed. guess I will ask again and see if they will credit the arrears. I would be happy them just making my arrears even. Not worried about the rest owed to me. Probably wouldn't see it anyhow.

Thanks for your time

Give 'em a call. Get your timeline in order, and explain it more or less how you've explained it here.

Good luck - and please let us know what happens.

Some States are very, very efficient and helpful when it comes to the more complex CS issues. Some just won't even entertain the idea of fixing things.

(In other words, you might need an attorney anyway).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">