• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does deceit void child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerophase

This situation occurs in Illinois. Basically, I'm asking if a woman lies about being on birth control, and a child comes about as a result of this; since the woman deceived the male into impregnating her does he still have a legal responsibility for the child?

Thanks for your time.

Proserpina

This situation occurs in Illinois. Basically, I'm asking if a woman lies about being on birth control, and a child comes about as a result of this; since the woman deceived the male into impregnating her does he still have a legal responsibility for the child?

Thanks for your time.

Yes, he does.

If the male chooses to believe the female? That's his choice. HE has other options, too.

(Not to get overly graphic, but every single time he sends his little soldiers off into the wonderful wilderness that is the female reproductive system? There is always a risk of pregnancy unless she's hysterectomied or post-menopausal. It really IS that simple)

Proserpina

Okay, that's not QUITE legally accurate.

Sure, he can sue her. Anyone can, in this country, sue anyone else for just about anything.

But will he win?

Not a chance.

THAT is accurate. :cool:

zerophase

Well, I guess the laws need to be rewritten then. Could have sworn presenting oneself, as on contraceptive pills, while not, should have some form of legal consequence for the deceivee. Now, if she poked holes in the condoms or made a hole in her diaphragm, does this negate parental duties?

Proserpina

Well, I guess the laws need to be rewritten then. Could have sworn presenting oneself, as on contraceptive pills, while not, should have some form of legal consequence for the deceivee. Now, if she poked holes in the condoms or made a hole in her diaphragm, does this negate parental duties?

You should probably stop right about now.

If you're the father being hit with child support - forget it. You had EVERY chance to not gift your soldiers to this woman. You chose to believe her? That's your CHOICE.

Is it fair? Fair doesn't enter the equation. This is about current legalities.

And if you're not the putative father? Well, legally, it's none of your legal business anyway.

If you want things to change, by all means petition your congresspeople.

(Though admittedly part of me is curious. How exactly is putative Daddy able to prove that Mommy guaranteed that she was..well...safe? His word against hers? Really?)

mistoffolees

First, contraception fails. Even if she WAS honest about being on the pill, she could still get pregnant. Condoms fail. Diaphragms fail. Even if you use two methods, it is possible to get pregnant.

When you have sex with someone, you are taking on the risk that they will become pregnant - whether they're using birth control or not.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
SEX LEADS TO BABIES. Babies are a result of sex. Good grief. That is basic knowledge. No form of birth control is 100% except abstinence. The person who does NOT realize that is an idiot.

Poking holes in a condom or hole in diaphragm also doesn't do it. Quite simply, if you don't want parental responsibility DO NOT HAVE SEX WITH AN OPPOSITE GENDERED PERSON.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
First, contraception fails. Even if she WAS honest about being on the pill, she could still get pregnant. Condoms fail. Diaphragms fail. Even if you use two methods, it is possible to get pregnant.

When you have sex with someone, you are taking on the risk that they will become pregnant - whether they're using birth control or not.
Unless you are engaged in a same sex encounter. :)

It boggles the mind that people do not know these simple facts of reproduction. Didn't we introduce SexEd into the schools to counter parents not educating their kids?

I'm thinking OP spent more time snickering with his friends than learning the facts of life. And now? He REALLY is learning them.

Congrats, Daddy!!!

Alex1176

Thanks for your time.
Not only that. Even if a minor was molested by a woman, he may be obligated to pay CS to the molester.
Fair? Maybe not. But who says that life is fair?

CJane

Heh.

I have a son and a daughter (that's right, 2 out of 3 kids) who were both conceived while I was on the pill.

My sister has a child who was conceived while she was on the pill.

My other sister has a child who was conceived while SHE was on the pill and HE was using a condom.

I make sure to point out to my teenager that neither of her younger siblings would be here if it weren't for the failure of birth control. And neither would her younger nephews. It's enough - for now - to make her think sex is a crazy-stupid idea. (Thank the gods)

HOWEVER, legally speaking, you (or your friend, or whoever) isn't legally obligated to pay child support until a judge, or the state, tells you to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">