• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who can verify income from making business through Ebay ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

el_esm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MISSOURI

My husband buys things on ebay, fix or improve them and sell for more. We filed for divorse and he rejected to mention this income to calculate child support as he thinks I oculd not proove it. I know that he has a paypal account for this but do not even know user ID (only email address).
So my question is what is the right place to go to to ask for this income verification ? I read that this has to be ordered by court, but is there such a company/attorney who can really get an acess to ebay and paypal accont including transactions from the history ?
Thank you!

el_esm

Who can verify spouse's income from doing business through Ebay ?

My husband buys things on ebay, fix or improve them and sell for more. We filed for divorse and he rejected to mention this income to calculate child support as he thinks I oculd not proove it. I know that he has a paypal account for this but do not even know user ID (only email address).
So my question is what is the right place to go to to ask for this income verification ? I read that this has to be ordered by court, but is there such a company/attorney who can really get an acess to ebay and paypal accont including transactions from the history ?
Thank you!

mistoffolees

Thank you!
You would have to subpoena that information.

meanyjack

Thank you!
And whether this would actually be considered "income" is another issue.

mistoffolees

And whether this would actually be considered "income" is another issue.
Why wouldn't it? He is buying items, repairing them, and selling them for a profit. Sounds like income to me.

Of course, it raises one question that would be a problem for OP. That income should have been reported on tax returns. If they filed a joint return and she signed a return that didn't have that income included, she may have to deal with criminal charges if it comes to light.

justalayman

Why wouldn't it? He is buying items, repairing them, and selling them for a profit. Sounds like income to me.

Of course, it raises one question that would be a problem for OP. That income should have been reported on tax returns. If they filed a joint return and she signed a return that didn't have that income included, she may have to deal with criminal charges if it comes to light.

at least they would have to deal with the additional taxes and penalties. I understand the IRS is not real jumpy when it comes to criminal prosecution, at least initially, for situations such as this.

mistoffolees

at least they would have to deal with the additional taxes and penalties. I understand the IRS is not real jumpy when it comes to criminal prosecution, at least initially, for situations such as this.
Which is why I said 'may'.

Yes, the IRS is not likely to pursue criminal penalties, but the point is that OP was apparently OK with Dad hiding income when they were married but wants to make an issue of it now. That could come back to bite her if she signed a joint return.

justalayman

mistoffolees;2992433]Which is why I said 'may'.
I wasn't taking issue with your statement. Simply relating my understanding of the situation.

but the point is that OP was apparently OK with Dad hiding income when they were married but wants to make an issue of it now. That could come back to bite her if she signed a joint return.
which I have no argument with.

el_esm

So what would the right company to ask for investigation ? He said he was doing all that for his employer with no personal interest which I would like to question now when we get to the child support issue. So I wanted to find the right company/person and see if they could get an acess to his ebay and paypal account. That way finding a particular example that was purchased and sold for more could be found.
Thank you,

el_esm

And than if court wuld order to provide paypal and ebay accounts history info who can make sure what my husband would show does match with what is trully is there ? In real life is it possible at all ?
Thank you,

nextwife

So, AFTER you deduct the cost of the item, and materials used to repair them, and any state and federal taxes that would be due if this was reported income, how much is his actual NET profit per month? Does he also have a full time income on which he pays child support? Is what you might get worth the cost of pursuing it?

If this is more of a hobby, a project done in one's spare time, he could easily now claim that he no longer has the spare time for these hobby projects, now that his kids live apart from him, and cease doing these.

mistoffolees

So, AFTER you deduct the cost of the item, and materials used to repair them, and any state and federal taxes that would be due if this was reported income, how much is his actual NET profit per month? Does he also have a full time income on which he pays child support? Is what you might get worth the cost of pursuing it?
I would certainly get the records to find out how much money is involved. You are right that it may not be worth fighting over, though.

Keep in mind that simply having the Paypal and eBay records is only the start. Let's say that he sold 100 items on Paypal and bought 200 items. You would need to go through those in great detail to match what he bought with what he sold. In addition, he may have had to buy other things locally in order to repair the items. It's going to take a LOT of work to sort that out.

If this is more of a hobby, a project done in one's spare time, he could easily now claim that he no longer has the spare time for these hobby projects, now that his kids live apart from him, and cease doing these.
That argument would have a very hard time getting past some judges. After all, if NCP is working two jobs while married, the judge will rarely let them pay lower CS after quitting one job.

meanyjack

IF he's doing it regularly, than yes. If it's occasionally, then that's where it gets tricky. Hence my how I phrased what I wrote.

I sell stuff on eBay occasionally. I don't consider it income.

meanyjack

And than if court wuld order to provide paypal and ebay accounts history info who can make sure what my husband would show does match with what is trully is there ? In real life is it possible at all ?
Thank you,
You would have to subpoena eBay and PayPal individually, and you would need to provide them (each) with specific information in the subpoena (i.e. log in name, specifically). Also, keep in mind, that this could be costly on YOUR end as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">