• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

incorporated company suspended by state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmvmt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am helping to reenergize a small mental health non-profit organization that was incorporated in CA. It turns out that it was put in suspended status in CA a number of years ago. Is it still a viable legal corporation? Does suspension in the state of incorporation mean the company no longer exists anywhere legally?

tranquility

Since the appropriate information returns were almost assuredly not filed with the IRS, even if the corporation is able to be revived, it has lost its status as a non-profit.

mmvmt

yes, it has lost that status

I discovered first that the non-profit status was lost due to not filing tax statements. When it was first set up 10 years ago, statements were not required for the income it had. The officers moved, and did not get notice of the change in laws now requiring filing. As part of the process of trying to straighten that out, I discovered this other mess.

My understanding is to get non-profit status, the corporation first has to exist. I was trying to find out if it does in fact exist given the suspension status.

Thanks for answering. Any other insights you have would be very helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">