• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody/Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HerAunt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Hello, I was awarded custody of my niece after she was removed from her mother's home. I worked with the local CSEA to get child support. The mother kept moving so the case had to keep being transferred. We finally went to court and once it was all said and done the court that heard the case said that I failed to prove my case. I thought my case was proved based on the fact that there is a custody order issued and signed by a judge and that they had been trying to collect child support. After that hearing I filed an objection because the magistrate that heard the case wrote in his decision that he was confused and could only find against me. Can I now and should I file an appeal through the State Appeals court. I just received a copy file dated from the court regarding my objection hearing that says "Final Appealable Order"

Proserpina

Hello, I was awarded custody of my niece after she was removed from her mother's home. I worked with the local CSEA to get child support. The mother kept moving so the case had to keep being transferred. We finally went to court and once it was all said and done the court that heard the case said that I failed to prove my case. I thought my case was proved based on the fact that there is a custody order issued and signed by a judge and that they had been trying to collect child support. After that hearing I filed an objection because the magistrate that heard the case wrote in his decision that he was confused and could only find against me. Can I now and should I file an appeal through the State Appeals court. I just received a copy file dated from the court regarding my objection hearing that says "Final Appealable Order"

That does sound odd, certainly.

Have you tried contacting CSE and letting them deal with things directly themselves?

HerAunt

I have been informing the local office every step of the way, however since I just got this last copy I cannot contact them until tomorrow (Monday) when they are open. When I contacted them and said that I was going to file an objection they said that I did not have to but could if I wanted to if I felt that I wanted to try to get the arearages that were owed to me. So that is when I filed the objection. I will contact them and let them know the outcome but am trying to gather as much information as I can. I know that they are not attorneys and I know that the information off of this site does not take the place of an attorney's advice. The child in question is now over 18 so I think that it is all up to me if I want to keep fighting it but I don't want to waste anymore of my money if there is no chance or if I am misunderstanding and that this case is not open for appeal.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you filed an objection and that is what was ruled against you by the judge, you can file an appeal within 30 days. Make sure you get transcripts of ALL hearings.

You mention service on MOM. Did you also get service on the child's father? If not, then you will have issues because service has not been completed and you couldn't receive child support from the court because all parties were not there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">