• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quitting my job to stay home with new kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MickeyMouse7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I am trying to get some advice. I currently have 50/50 placement with my ex for my 3 kids. I still pay a significant amount of money in child support because I have a good job and my ex works at a minimum wage job 9 months out of the year. I am getting remarried and my fiance and I are planning on having kids.

When my fiance and I have kids I am considering quitting my job to stay home and be a homemaker. Would I still be responsible for paying child support after I quit my job? My new income would be zero (since I stay at home) and the custody and placement schedule is 50/50. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So you think that after you quit your job your kids will no longer need food, clothing and a roof over their heads?

Proserpina

I am trying to get some advice. I currently have 50/50 placement with my ex for my 3 kids. I still pay a significant amount of money in child support because I have a good job and my ex works at a minimum wage job 9 months out of the year. I am getting remarried and my fiance and I are planning on having kids.

When my fiance and I have kids I am considering quitting my job to stay home and be a homemaker. Would I still be responsible for paying child support after I quit my job? My new income would be zero (since I stay at home) and the custody and placement schedule is 50/50. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you would.

You would also be considered voluntarily unemployed. There would likely be no downward deviation. As cbg is hinting, your kids won't need to eat less just because you a) choose to stop working and b) have more kids.

As a general piece of advice: "don't breed what you can't - or won't - feed".

sandyclaus

Of course you will still be responsible for paying child support. You will be VOLUNTARILY unemployed. Most judges consider your ability to work and impute an income based on your ability to earn for the purpose of determining child support.

Your choice not to work should not penalize your children who are still entitled on that support. Nor should you make your existing children suffer the hardship that your voluntary lack of income will cause due to your own choice to have more children.

If you choose to have more children, that is your decision. But if you cannot afford to stay home now and still support the children you already have, why should you get to benefit from that choice later on?

nextwife

If ex is voluntarilly under or unemployed, they too spuld be factored child support at a full time, year round income based on what they could earn.

Last edited:
Just because I'm curious - to me it sounds as though future husand will be supporting her & all her (and later, his) kids during their 50% of the time. Why is it horrible to want to have the dad support his kids during his own 50% (at least mostly)? I get that she'd have to pay something, but why the exact same amount as now? Is that just to discourage people from doing the SAHM thing or from flaking out on their CS.

** not saying I agree or disagree - just trying to understand here**

Proserpina

Just because I'm curious - to me it sounds as though future husand will be supporting her & all her (and later, his) kids during their 50% of the time. Why is it horrible to want to have the dad support his kids during his own 50% (at least mostly)? I get that she'd have to pay something, but why the exact same amount as now? Is that just to discourage people from doing the SAHM thing or from flaking out on their CS.

Because the other parent is already considered to be supporting the children.

Why should they pick up the slack if the paying parent decides to quit work?

mistoffolees

It has nothing to do with discouraging SAHMs. It is simply to try to discourage people from using "I quit my job" as an excuse to not support their own kids. There is a current child support order and there needs to be a reason to change it. "I want to stay home" is not a valid reason.

Proserpina

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Besides - nobody is saying that being a SAHP is a bad thing, nor that one shouldn't do it if that's what one wants to (and can afford to) do.

After all - the supporting spouse would surely help the SAHP pay their child support obligation, right?

Nobody loses anything - win/win! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">