• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Arrearage settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rightgame4me

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Oklahoma
I conceived a child when I was 16 with a 20 year old, my family offered to pay child support, begged to see the child and to no avail. When he was 13 the mother signed up for welfare and sued me for child support; they assessed it from day 1 and he a teenager that had no interest in seeing me. I quit paying at some point, unsure when(diagnosed Bipolar and struggled with drug issues for awhile as a result of self medicating) and have no idea how much I owe, can I settle? I also see him(he is 24) and have gave him money when he was older, including a car. Can a waiver be signed? If so, who has to sign the waiver, child or mother?
I have suffered a lot of legal issues over the mental illness being untreated for 10 years. It is sad, but overwhelming to work past it, advice is needed to restore license, ability to work in Oklahoma and passport.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Antigone*

I conceived a child when I was 16 with a 20 year old, my family offered to pay child support, begged to see the child and to no avail. When he was 13 the mother signed up for welfare and sued me for child support; they assessed it from day 1 and he a teenager that had no interest in seeing me. I quit paying at some point, unsure when(diagnosed Bipolar and struggled with drug issues for awhile as a result of self medicating) and have no idea how much I owe, can I settle? I also see him(he is 24) and have gave him money when he was older, including a car. Can a waiver be signed? If so, who has to sign the waiver, child or mother?
I have suffered a lot of legal issues over the mental illness being untreated for 10 years. It is sad, but overwhelming to work past it, advice is needed to restore license, ability to work in Oklahoma and passport.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If the child's mother sought state aid, dont' look for any type of settlement. Has the State contacted you about support? Do you work? Do you file a tax return?

By the way, the money you've given him as an adult matters not.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The STATE sued you for Child Support because The State's taxpayers should not be responsible for supporting your child. You can contact the OK CSEA and see what arrearages are owed to The State and what arrearages are owed to the CP. The CP can waive her portion of the arrears, but The State will not. That is the only way to get the license and passport back.

rightgame4me

arrearages

I agree with State not being responsible. I have recently filed my taxes after 10 years and know consequences. Just trying to straighten out mess of my my consequences, choices and ignorance. Just don't know where to begin. I am sure they will seize whatever tax refund is available but want to know if there are settlement options and how to go about doing so.
I don't have any record of being sued and haven't went to court since initial court appearance over child support. I don't think its fair that i was assessed BACK child support when it would have been manageable and fair if done early on when offered.

Last edited:

Alex1176

I agree with State not being responsible. I have recently filed my taxes after 10 years and know consequences. Just trying to straighten out mess of my my consequences, choices and ignorance. Just don't know where to begin. I am sure they will seize whatever tax refund is available but want to know if there are settlement options and how to go about doing so.
I don't have any record of being sued and haven't went to court since initial court appearance over child support. I don't think its fair that i was assessed BACK child support when it would have been manageable and fair if done early on when offered.
Check with Oklahoma child support services if they have a program of compromising CS arrears, or any kind of waiver. I know that in California they have. So just call them and speak with a representative or send an email.

meanyjack

I agree with State not being responsible. I have recently filed my taxes after 10 years and know consequences. Just trying to straighten out mess of my my consequences, choices and ignorance.
Whoa?! You mean you haven't filed a tax return in 10 years??!! You might have bigger issues than CSEA.

YOu are responsible for paying it back as long as the child was getting benefits being paid by the taxpayers. And that might be until the child reached the age of emancipation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">