• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dazedadconfused

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana / Kentucky

I live in KY and have a child support order here in KY for my son who lives in IN. He is 18 and the order has been closed here. IN child support says I owe them 8K in TANF and non-TANF and they are going to have my tax return held. There is no court order from IN. Is it even legal for IN to hold my taxes when I have never been ordered to pay anything to them? If so, can they go for these TANF/nonTANF funds from before paternity was established?

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana / Kentucky

I live in KY and have a child support order here in KY for my son who lives in IN. He is 18 and the order has been closed here. IN child support says I owe them 8K in TANF and non-TANF and they are going to have my tax return held. There is no court order from IN. Is it even legal for IN to hold my taxes when I have never been ordered to pay anything to them?
Yes it is legal for them to take back what has been paid out for the benefit of your child. Your child's other parent got State aid, and now the State expects to be paid back.

dazedadconfused

Ok, but....

How can they do that without any court order from their state? I had no knowledge of this state aid in the first place. Also, why am I not even given opportunity to make payments? I am all about repaying debts, but shouldn't there be some consideration? Also, can they try to get repayment of aid received by her before paternity was established?

I should say that the state in which the order was made (KY) says I do not owe anything.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

How can they do that without any court order from their state? I had no knowledge of this state aid in the first place. Also, why am I not even given opportunity to make payments? I am all about repaying debts, but shouldn't there be some consideration? Also, can they try to get repayment of aid received by her before paternity was established?

I should say that the state in which the order was made (KY) says I do not owe anything.
Presumably, KY says you don't owe them anything because IN has taken it over.

Or, perhaps CP received state aid in IN and they are trying to collect their money back.

dazedadconfused

Order has been closed.

mistoffolees,

The order has been closed out here in KY with no arrearages, just after my son turned 18. I know it is that the state of IN wants to collect on whatever state aid that the mother received, which I understand to an extent. My confusion is that I don't understand how they can just up and say that they are putting a hold on my taxes because of a bill that I have never been ordered to pay, let alone known about. So the question still stands, is the way that they are going about doing this legal?

Let me reiterate here, I am not trying to get out of paying anything that I legally owe.

From that time that paternity was established I have paid everything required.

mistoffolees

mistoffolees,

The order has been closed out here in KY with no arrearages, just after my son turned 18. I know it is that the state of IN wants to collect on whatever state aid that the mother received, which I understand to an extent. My confusion is that I don't understand how they can just up and say that they are putting a hold on my taxes because of a bill that I have never been ordered to pay, let alone known about. So the question still stands, is the way that they are going about doing this legal?

Let me reiterate here, I am not trying to get out of paying anything that I legally owe.

From that time that paternity was established I have paid everything required.
Ask the state agency for an accounting of the money they are collecting from you.

nextwife

Ask the state agency for an accounting of the money they are collecting from you.
And compare the dates to the dates you had an open order and were paying in your state. As Misto said, it is possible CP double dipped and sought benefits in two states simultaneously, failing to disclose CS they were recieving through IN. If fraud is involved, the CP may owe that money back to the state.

dazedadconfused

No fraud suspected

I am pretty sure that the mother didn't double dip. I am concerned that they are going after money from before paternity was established. Here in KY that is not allowed. If it is ok in IN to do that, can they do it with no support order?

mistoffolees

I am pretty sure that the mother didn't double dip. I am concerned that they are going after money from before paternity was established. Here in KY that is not allowed. If it is ok in IN to do that, can they do it with no support order?
Once again, ask CSE for an accounting. They will have to show you all the dates.

dazedadconfused

Thanks to all

mistoffolees, nextwife, Antigone*,

Thanks for all of your help everyone. I will contact the CS office in Indiana and ask for an accounting. If anyone happens to come up with any other advice, I will greatly appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">