• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I ever fix my child support problems?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackkamaesmith

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I need advice in the worst way[/B]. I owe the department of revenue ?(no idea) anymore. I had a son when I was just under 16. I am now 46. My inability to pay at many times in my life has forever ruined my life. My own fault I know.. but can I ever fix it? I had hepatitis C, and the treatment nearly killed me as well as the disease. I could not pay during that period. The interest and payements were adding up. Now, not working, and unable to find work, when I called the DOR, a long time ago, when I was first unemployed, they just wanted a payment arrangement. I can't make one with no money. Now, they have suspended my license, and I can't even drive to try and find work nevermind anything else. I am so deep I can't get out. I'm not saying I don't deserve some of it, but they don't make it easy to fix. I am nearly homeless, and staying with a Thank God giving friend who is putting up with it for now, but for how long I don't know. His mother collected AFDC his entire life, and she never even supported him. He was raised by his grandparents, and I don't know what to do. Someone please help me to figure out how to fix this. Please remember, I have NO job or money. I will be living outside soon if I can't figure this out. I have been ready to kill myself so many times. The depression is the worst. I'm sorry for the long rambling post. I just want to explain with detail. Please remember, we were both very young, and she was not the ideal parent either. I do have a relationship with my son now, and he understands my situation. He knows I can't do anything and he is ok with that. He says his mom is on drugs now, even as an older woman, and was never there. We both had our share of being absent. Uggh. sickening now to think of now. :confused::( :( Someone please help me.
Grateful for any advice, Jack
Thanks.

Last edited:

Just Blue

I need advice in the worst way[/B]. I owe the department of revenue ?(no idea) anymore. I had a son when I was just under 16. I am now 46. My inability to pay at many times in my life has forever ruined my life. My own fault I know.. but can I ever fix it? I had hepatitis C, and the treatment nearly killed me as well as the disease. I could not pay during that period. The interest and payements were adding up. Now, not working, and unable to find work, when I called the DOR, a long time ago, when I was first unemployed, they just wanted a payment arrangement. I can't make one with no money. Now, they have suspended my license, and I can't even drive to try and find work nevermind anything else. I am so deep I can't get out. I'm not saying I don't deserve some of it, but they don't make it easy to fix. I am nearly homeless, and staying with a Thank God giving friend who is putting up with it for now, but for how long I don't know. His mother collected AFDC his entire life, and she never even supported him. He was raised by his grandparents, and I don't know what to do. Someone please help me to figure out how to fix this. Please remember, I have NO job or money. I will be living outside soon if I can't figure this out. I have been ready to kill myself so many times. The depression is the worst. I'm sorry for the long rambling post. I just want to explain with detail. Please remember, we were both very young, and she was not the ideal parent either. I do have a relationship with my son now, and he understands my situation. He knows I can't do anything and he is ok with that. He says his mom is on drugs now, even as an older woman, and was never there. We both had our share of being absent. Uggh. sickening now to think of now. :confused::( :( Someone please help me.
Thanks.
Have YOU EVER had legitimate employment? If so, when? and did you pay your court ordered support during that time? How long have you had H-C? And how long has that prevented you from working?

mistoffolees

Is the money owed to Mom for child support or is it owed to the state for reimbursement of welfare or other state support?

Gracie3787

Thanks.
Yes, it can be fixed, although it won't be simple or fast. It will require you gaining employment and working with the DOR. First, come up with as much money as you can. If you have not found employment, make a written out plan on how you will gain employment, and how you will make regular payments towrds the arrears. Then, call the DOR and set up an appointment to go in person to speak to a caseworker and they can help you come up with an agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">