• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CoolDad

Since my divorce in 2007 I have been earning a higher salary and I have been going by the 20% rule to pay child support to my ex-wife. My divorce papers currently states to pay 600.00. Yet I have been paying above that amount since they were first filed.

I have been paying 20% ($860 per month has been my payment to her) of my net income each month and have never missed. However my ex-wife found some pre-taxed items that she thinks should be back paid to her.

Can she do this even through the current divorce order on file says 600.00 per month.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

meanyjack

Since my divorce in 2007 I have been earning a higher salary and I have been going by the 20% rule to pay child support to my ex-wife. My divorce papers currently states to pay 600.00. Yet I have been paying above that amount since they were first filed.

I have been paying 20% ($860 per month has been my payment to her) of my net income each month and have never missed. However my ex-wife found some pre-taxed items that she thinks should be back paid to her.

Can she do this even through the current divorce order on file says 600.00 per month.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What she "thinks" is irrelevant.
What "pre-tax" items is she referring to? And how old are these so-called "items"?

You ONLY owe what your order says you are to pay. If you are to pay $600.00 per month, than that is all you are obligated to owe. If you stop paying her the additional $$ you're paying here, there's not a damn thing she can do besides throw a fit, pout and throw a temper-tantrum.

Antigone*

CoolDad, you are only required to pay what has been ordered. If your ex-wife wants to revisit what should be paid, then she can file for a modification.

mistoffolees

What she "thinks" is irrelevant.
What "pre-tax" items is she referring to? And how old are these so-called "items"?

You ONLY owe what your order says you are to pay. If you are to pay $600.00 per month, than that is all you are obligated to owe. If you stop paying her the additional $$ you're paying here, there's not a damn thing she can do besides throw a fit, pout and throw a temper-tantrum.
She can also file for a modification - and if his income has increased that much, she'll probably get it.

But, regardless, he only has to pay what's in the court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">