• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntarily Underemployed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

duckmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Would it be possible for my oldest child's father (my ex, never married) to have his child support payments terminated if I become voluntarily underemployed? I am considering going back to college part-time to finish my degree and my ex is throwing a fit, saying that if I can afford to only work part-time then he is paying too much support. Basically I will be working part-time and going to school part-time, but will be saving about $1,200 a month by not having 3 kids in daycare (our mutual child and my 2 kids with my husband). I have been at my job for 5 years and am at the limits of my career until I can finish my degree. I am not looking to have his support payment increased, I am just wondering if he can have it lowered because I will be choosing to bring home less money. Thanks!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Would it be possible for my oldest child's father (my ex, never married) to have his child support payments terminated if I become voluntarily underemployed? I am considering going back to college part-time to finish my degree and my ex is throwing a fit, saying that if I can afford to only work part-time then he is paying too much support. Basically I will be working part-time and going to school part-time, but will be saving about $1,200 a month by not having 3 kids in daycare (our mutual child and my 2 kids with my husband). I have been at my job for 5 years and am at the limits of my career until I can finish my degree. I am not looking to have his support payment increased, I am just wondering if he can have it lowered because I will be choosing to bring home less money. Thanks!
Probably not. He can ask for you to be imputed an income equal to what you were earning before. That would not result in a reduction in CS. His payments will likely remain unchanged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">