• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigDadTX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am required to pay for the medical insurance premium each month which I have done. My exe told me in August that the premium had increased but would not give me proof of the increase. What would constitute proof in this case? In my mind, I need to see something from the insurance company that shows the increase. She finally last week handed me a letter on her company letter head supposedly from her HR director. It was a copy of the letter and not an original.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.

Antigone*

I am required to pay for the medical insurance premium each month which I have done. My exe told me in August that the premium had increased but would not give me proof of the increase. What would constitute proof in this case? In my mind, I need to see something from the insurance company that shows the increase. She finally last week handed me a letter on her company letter head supposedly from her HR director. It was a copy of the letter and not an original.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.
My thoughts are that insurance went up.:cool: and that you need to pony up.

mistoffolees

Any thoughts?
Thank you.
Why would it matter if it was a copy and not an original? A copy of a letter from her HR director would be sufficient proof.

Face it - health insurance increases every year. Sometimes by large double digit amounts.

BigDadTX

I understand that and have no issue paying what I need to. The issue is this woman cant be trusted at all. I asked for proof in August and she is just now giving me a letter that she could have easily forged? Why not do it 5 months ago??

It clearly states that she has 30 days to prove it and that once she does prove it, I have 30 days to change my payments and it doesnt go back to the change date, but the payment after the notification.... Just doesnt make sense, but she loves to play games!

Antigone*

I understand that and have no issue paying what I need to. The issue is this woman cant be trusted at all. I asked for proof in August and she is just now giving me a letter that she could have easily forged? Why not do it 5 months ago??

It clearly states that she has 30 days to prove it and that once she does prove it, I have 30 days to change my payments and it doesnt go back to the change date, but the payment after the notification.... Just doesnt make sense, but she loves to play games!
You must not have much experience working with HR.:cool:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I knew that my insurance would be going up towards the end of August. I *just* got actual notification from HR as to my specific plan and premiums.

ETA: And I had to provide said to my ex? I would send him a copy - originals stay in my files.

Last edited:

BigDadTX

My insurance changed at the end of the year. I had access to those changes in December when I had to make the decision as to what plan I went with. I assume that everyone is somewhat similar, I guess thats not the case.

tuffbrk

Can't she give you a copy of her pay stub with all of the other information blacked out? That would set your mind at ease. Anyone can type a letter on company letterhead and claim it is from HR...

mistoffolees

Can't she give you a copy of her pay stub with all of the other information blacked out? That would set your mind at ease. Anyone can type a letter on company letterhead and claim it is from HR...
Or, OP can call HR. While HR would not be able to discuss ex's specific situation, I don't think it would be a violation of privacy of OP asks "what is the medical insurance deduction for xxx?" (where xxx is the specifics of Mom's plan).

Or if OP really wants to be a pain and waste his money, he can refuse to pay it until Mom sues him - and then subpoena the information. That would be incredibly stupid IMHO, but he has that option.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Or, OP can call HR. While HR would not be able to discuss ex's specific situation, I don't think it would be a violation of privacy of OP asks "what is the medical insurance deduction for xxx?" (where xxx is the specifics of Mom's plan).

Or if OP really wants to be a pain and waste his money, he can refuse to pay it until Mom sues him - and then subpoena the information. That would be incredibly stupid IMHO, but he has that option.
Or, OP could send a copy of the letter to the HR person who signed it and confirm that it's accurate.

Antigone*

No way in haedes would I give a copy of my pay stub to my ex unless a judge says I have to.

Zig's idea is best.

tuffbrk

I'm divorced from a person who lies about the color of the sky outside so there is no way I would give one cent to my ex without solid proof. A letter from HR is not proof. I can type up a letter for you right now if you'd like. So far as calling HR? The likelihood that they discuss the costs for their health plan offerings is pretty slim. Not due to PHI or salary concerns but simply because of the number of cold calls received. Without a valid reason to discuss the issue, I would think it is unlikely that they would discuss health plan costs with a non-employee.

Most participants would receive notification from their employer or their insurer that addresses the health plan costs specifically. I find it odd that the ex has to rely on a letter from HR. After all, she was notified wasn't she?

BigDadTX

I wouldnt give her a copy of my check stub nor would I request one. All I asked for was a copy of the new information from the insurance company, which I am paying for and our papers say i have the right to since its for our kids. I know that my insurance information is easily accessed online and I assume hers is no different. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wouldnt give her a copy of my check stub nor would I request one. All I asked for was a copy of the new information from the insurance company, which I am paying for and our papers say i have the right to since its for our kids. I know that my insurance information is easily accessed online and I assume hers is no different. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable.
She gave you proof. Now it's on you to verify it. You have SO many options...yes, you are being unreasonable, IMO.

CJane

A letter from HR is not proof.
A letter from HR has been sufficient proof in every child support hearing I've been a part of.

And OP's ex provided him the proof within 30 days of the first of the year - which is likely when the changes took effect.

He's being a jerk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">