• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does dad have to help(even a little) with dental care if needed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xeria

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? portsmouth, OH
I have an 8 year old daughter, who I have full custody of since 2005 when her father and I were divorced. She had a lot of health problems when she was younger due to being premature, now she is doing good I just have a few concerns. Her mental health is covered by Ohio medicaid i think it is called. (She is receiving SSI) Her regular dental care is covered by it also. However she has large gaps in her teeth causing her to have trouble flossing and I am worried about how it affects her jaw. I made an appointment with an orthodontist, but her insurance is not accepted. I will have to pay out of my pocket, witch is a problem because even with child support the household income is not even $800 for rent and everything. I cannot work and am currently applying for SSI because of mental issues such as bi-polar and severe anxiety. The problem is I wish there was a way her father would help financial if the orthodontist deemed any work necessary, however he refuses saying he will not help even a little on anything the insurance will not carry. I would be able to budget for whatever she needs but at least once if not more times a year he finds a new job that requires months of not receiving child support. I never know when i will receive Child support and even though I never refuse him visitations and often meet him halfway when I can (we live 3 hrs apart) I wish there was something i could do to get him to help with dental work if she needs it. His income is often after child support $750 to $1000 a week. I know it sounds mean I do not want to make him help but if she really needs work and I cannot pay does he have any obligation to help? So sorry so long.

Last edited:

Antigone*

I have an 8 year old daughter, who I have full custody of since 2005 when her father and I were divorced. She had a lot of health problems when she was younger due to being premature, now she is doing good I just have a few concerns. Her mental health is covered by Ohio medicaid i think it is called. (She is receiving SSI) Her regular dental care is covered by it also. However she has large gaps in her teeth causing her to have trouble flossing and I am worried about how it affects her jaw. I made an appointment with an orthodontist, but her insurance is not accepted. I will have to pay out of my pocket, witch is a problem because even with child support the household income is not even $800 for rent and everything. I cannot work and am currently applying for SSI because of mental issues such as bi-polar and severe anxiety. The problem is I wish there was a way her father would help financial if the orthodontist deemed any work necessary, however he refuses saying he will not help even a little on anything the insurance will not carry. I would be able to budget for whatever she needs but at least once if not more times a year he finds a new job that requires months of not receiving child support. I never know when i will receive Child support and even though I never refuse him visitations and often meet him halfway when I can (we live 3 hrs apart) I wish there was something i could do to get him to help with dental work if she needs it. His income is often after child support $750 to $1000 a week. I know it sounds mean I do not want to make him help but if she really needs work and I cannot pay does he have any obligation to help? So sorry so long.
Unless there is a court order for him to help you pay for these extra services for your daughter, you are going to have to pay for them.

Overcome your issues, get a job and then do can do lots of things for your daughter.

Just Blue

Have you tried to seek another Dr. that will accept your insurance?

xeria

I will keep looking for someone who accepts her insurance. Thank you for replying. to the person who said to "get over it and get a job". I have been trying to get over it for years. I do not choose to have my problems. I would love to be one of the "normal people". I just asked a question unless you know the details of my life do not judge me please.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I will keep looking for someone who accepts her insurance. Thank you for replying. to the person who said to "get over it and get a job". I have been trying to get over it for years. I do not choose to have my problems. I would love to be one of the "normal people". I just asked a question unless you know the details of my life do not judge me please.
You need to go to someone in network. Dad is not going to be pay if dad does not want to pay -- depends on how determined he is. You need to realize that. You cannot depend on dad to supplement your income.

Are you medicated for bipolar and anxiety? If not, why not? If not, you are opening yourself up to a CSB referral.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">