• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

past due support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momofboys2005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine. I haven't recieved child support from my son's father since may of 2010. I have called many times to child support enforcement to see if they have found him or have any new info on him (like a job for them to garnish his wages, or tax money that they can take). He's court ordered (2002) to pay $54 a week. They haven't found any property or anything to put a lien on, and he has no license to take that away either.

My question is, is there anything I can do to get money that is owed to me, or do I just let child support enforcement deal with it and keep waiting for the money to show someday?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine. I haven't recieved child support from my son's father since may of 2010. I have called many times to child support enforcement to see if they have found him or have any new info on him (like a job for them to garnish his wages, or tax money that they can take). He's court ordered (2002) to pay $54 a week. They haven't found any property or anything to put a lien on, and he has no license to take that away either.

My question is, is there anything I can do to get money that is owed to me, or do I just let child support enforcement deal with it and keep waiting for the money to show someday?

Option 3. Get on with your life, never expecting to see a penny.

That way, if CSE can get something out of him, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

meanyjack

OR you can file a Motion to Show Cause for Contempt in court. A CSEA can only do so much. If YOU want action, then YOU need to take the appropriate action.
While that won't make $$$ magically appear, you're taking legal action to address the issue. Like Prosperina (and others) have always told people NOT to rely on CS (it's not supposed to make ends' meet for people anyway).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">