• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reciepts for how CS is spent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

NCP has just started paying support again. In the last 6 weeks he has paid about $200. (Still less than what he was supposed to pay for that time period, but anything is better than $0) Now he insists on receipts to show what I spent the money on. Seeing as though, before this time, he hadn't paid support in over 1.5 years, and the fact that our kids are fed, clothed, sheltered and well cared for, I consider any money he pays in support to be reimbursement. He claims that if I don't have receipts to prove the money was spent specifically on the children, he will take me to court (and win) a modification to lower his child support payments.

I'm almost 100% sure he is totally wrong about that, but I can't find any legal definition on what I can spend child support money on. Google isn't helping me much today.

Frankly, the amount is so small, I end up spending it on random things, a gallon of milk here, or lightbulbs there. Batteries, a snack, etc... Sometimes its spent on things the kids don't use directly, but its generally used for household-type things.

Can anyone point me to something that specifically states what's support is to be used for and whether or not I need to provide receipts in NYS?

mistoffolees

NCP has just started paying support again. In the last 6 weeks he has paid about $200. (Still less than what he was supposed to pay for that time period, but anything is better than $0) Now he insists on receipts to show what I spent the money on. Seeing as though, before this time, he hadn't paid support in over 1.5 years, and the fact that our kids are fed, clothed, sheltered and well cared for, I consider any money he pays in support to be reimbursement. He claims that if I don't have receipts to prove the money was spent specifically on the children, he will take me to court (and win) a modification to lower his child support payments.

I'm almost 100% sure he is totally wrong about that, but I can't find any legal definition on what I can spend child support money on. Google isn't helping me much today.

Frankly, the amount is so small, I end up spending it on random things, a gallon of milk here, or lightbulbs there. Batteries, a snack, etc... Sometimes its spent on things the kids don't use directly, but its generally used for household-type things.

Can anyone point me to something that specifically states what's support is to be used for and whether or not I need to provide receipts in NYS?
You are not required (or expected) to provide receipts for child support. Child support is reimbursement for NCP's share of the costs of raising a child. If the child has a roof over his head, food in his belly, and clothes on his back, then he is being provided for. And to think that you didn't spend $200 on the child over a 6 week period is crazy.

File for contempt for his non-payment and ignore his demands.

BL

He's bluffing.

There is no law.

LdiJ

And if he is silly enough to file in court for a modification based on the fact that you won't give him receipts, please let us know what courtroom and where. I am sure that anyone in the area would live to show up for entertainment purposes.:D

Seriously...he is nutty if he thinks he will get anywhere with that.

And if he is silly enough to file in court for a modification based on the fact that you won't give him receipts, please let us know what courtroom and where. I am sure that anyone in the area would live to show up for entertainment purposes.:D

Seriously...he is nutty if he thinks he will get anywhere with that.
Depending on where in NY, this could be almost free, live entertainment for me!

Alex1176

He is totally wrong. You can ask HIM to show you a law about "specific spending" in NY. I bet that this will put an end to his funny claims.
Don't take legal advise from your ex. And if you take one, ask him to back it with governmental links, and then research it by your self.

CJane

I'd give him receipts for Manis and pedis, for a Coach purse, and for meals at restaurants.:D
Doesn't sound like this guy pays enough to keep up with a Coach habit, but I'd fo sho send him receipts for the mani/pedis. And call it 'child abuse prevention therapy'.

hearts41

I love it when NCP's think they have the "right" to receipts to see where their cs is being spent. Seriously, he is sending 200 bucks a month and complaining. LOL
Poster, he has no right to request that, oh he can ask till he turns blue, but he won't get it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">