• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Increase of pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

My ex and I just went to mediation because she requested a modifcation for review. I was only working part time not voluntary but because I was going to school part time as well.

The mediator set with us and discuss that she would only get $3.28 increase and she wasn't having that at all. So I said I could pay extra 80 dollars more and she agreed and we both signed our names stating we were in agreement for amount to be owed.

After this was all done and sent to the judge for his agreement I now have to pay the amount we agreed on.

3 weeks later I wanted to go full time because I wasn't going to make enough to even pay my rent or electric bill.

So my main question is do I have to report changes of income or just wait until another modification for review is set from my ex ?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

My ex and I just went to mediation because she requested a modifcation for review. I was only working part time not voluntary but because I was going to school part time as well.
Actually, that IS voluntary underemployment. You could have been imputed full time income.

The mediator set with us and discuss that she would only get $3.28 increase and she wasn't having that at all. So I said I could pay extra 80 dollars more and she agreed and we both signed our names stating we were in agreement for amount to be owed.

After this was all done and sent to the judge for his agreement I now have to pay the amount we agreed on.

3 weeks later I wanted to go full time because I wasn't going to make enough to even pay my rent or electric bill.

So my main question is do I have to report changes of income or just wait until another modification for review is set from my ex ?
States vary on this and I haven't been able to find rules for KY. I would suggest that you contact your child support enforcement office to ask them what the law says. If they give you a glib answer, ask for the specific statute that applies.

mistoffolees

Actually, that IS voluntary underemployment. You could have been imputed full time income.

So it was best for me to full time then?
No one can say what's best for you. That would obviously require far more knowledge of your situation than you presented here.

All I can tell you is that if you're working part time to go to school, the judge can impute full time income and force you to pay child support as if you were working full time (although it sounds like that situation is already behind you). What you do with that knowledge is up to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">