• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt of court for child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brandindiehl

My husband and I live in WV and his ex wife just officially filed for child support a year ago in Boyd County, KY. Their child is 6 and they calculated that he owes over $9,000. Everything I have looked up suggests that he will go to prison. I have been the one working the past year because he has not found a job. We just had a baby and I am supposed to return to work in a month. My question is how likely is it that he will serve time if this is his first time to court? He has to prove if there is any reason why he should not be held in contempt.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

My husband and I live in WV and his ex wife just officially filed for child support a year ago in Boyd County, KY. Their child is 6 and they calculated that he owes over $9,000. Everything I have looked up suggests that he will go to prison. I have been the one working the past year because he has not found a job. We just had a baby and I am supposed to return to work in a month. My question is how likely is it that he will serve time if this is his first time to court? He has to prove if there is any reason why he should not be held in contempt.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your husband had better find a way to come up with at least a couple thousand to pay a purge, or he very well might get jailed.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
When did the order actually go into effect, and did he make any effort to pay regularly?

brandindiehl

I believe it went into effect in January of 2011. There had been no payments because he has not had a job. His income taxes were garnished last year though.

nextwife

So he has been looking for work the entiretime the order was in effect? On what income was the order based?

Did he fail to provide his financials when the order was issued? Most of this amount was back ordered support, rather than an arrearage?

hearts41

Do they give you time to pay off the purge? or do you have to have it on the court date?
It will depend on how the judge will rule. I have seen it where they allow the NCP to make a small payment the day of the hearing, and then regular purge payments after that. If the NCP misses a payment the warrant is issued for their arrest. OR they could take him into to custody the day of the hearing. It sounds like he owes alot of money!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">