• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

red121778

Georgia - If I am responsible for school expenses, does that include admission to an afterschool dance and a yearbook?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

Georgia - If I am responsible for school expenses, does that include admission to an afterschool dance and a yearbook?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What does the court order say about school expenses? Word for word, but without the names.

In general, 'school expenses' would only include mandatory expenses, but until I know the wording of your order, I can't be sure.

LdiJ

You would deny your child an after school dance and a yearbook?

TinkerBelleLuvr

If said child lived in a house with both parents and they couldn't afford it, would we be saying the same thing? There is a ASSUMPTION that the person asking can afford it? or it could be someone asking if they can ask their X to help.

mistoffolees

You would deny your child an after school dance and a yearbook?
Why is that any worse than Mom denying the child an after school dance and a yearbook?

We don't know the circumstances. We don't know if OP can afford it or not. We also don't know how often these extras come up.

My ex was hitting me up for extras on a nearly weekly basis. Fortunately, I could afford it and was able to pay for all of them. Then business income dropped dramatically and I was unable to, so I had to say 'no' sometimes (and my daughter understands). My ex, to her credit, paid for most of the stuff I couldn't afford.

It's not for us to say what any given parent SHOULD be paying. They're asking for what they are legally required to pay - which means that we need to know what the court order says.

Antigone*

Why is that any worse than Mom denying the child an after school dance and a yearbook?

We don't know the circumstances. We don't know if OP can afford it or not. We also don't know how often these extras come up.

My ex was hitting me up for extras on a nearly weekly basis. Fortunately, I could afford it and was able to pay for all of them. Then business income dropped dramatically and I was unable to, so I had to say 'no' sometimes (and my daughter understands). My ex, to her credit, paid for most of the stuff I couldn't afford.

It's not for us to say what any given parent SHOULD be paying. They're asking for what they are legally required to pay - which means that we need to know what the court order says.

She asked a question, Misto:rolleyes: I made the comment, so now are you going to blast me for me commentary?

LdiJ

I thought that the OP was mom?:confused:

nextwife

Parents have a right to say no sometimes. No, we can't afford to have you do blank right now. My folks nixed Ski Club: not in the budget, not in the cards. Nixed a few other things. We still grew up just fine, thanks.

Good grief. I have a problem with the attidute that if we ever say No we are "denying our child" something. Our kids need to learn how to make discretionary choices, how to have priorities, How to pick and choose what can be skipped and what is important.

My professional work is in Bankruptcy and default loans, and so many of these borrowers I speak with seem to have never been introduced to the concept of foregoing anything.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

So change the genders around. The answer is the same. OP is only obligated to pay what the court order says (and we don't know what it says, yet). If s/he is asked to pay for additional items, s/he can, but doesn't have to. And there are good reasons why someone might not.
Not the point, misto. You've gotten to be a right git lately. This was just one example.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">